Baby Knits

July 21, 2015

UntitledUntitled
I thought about the fact that she was due in spring, and would be spending her first several months of life in the hot summer heat, but I still wanted to make her a few things, and since my sewing skills have yet to be developed, I took to the knitting needles. Fortunately, most of the garments I've made for her are too big, so they aren't necessarily wasted. If she doesn't grow too fast, she might be able to wear them this upcoming fall and winter. Here are a few of the knits I made for her and how they're working for us so far:

1. VANILLA SOAKER
UntitledUntitled

I made several of these soakers, but never used them in the manner they were intended because we didn't start cloth diapering until she was 12 weeks old. I used them more as pants, and as an extra layer of protection over her disposable diapers in the early months. The newborn size doesn't fit very well over the cloth diapers we use on her now, so they're destined for early retirement in the storage bins. I may still make a few more in a larger size because I think they're really cute, but I wish I had only made one or two rather than five. It's a great way to use up leftover wool, though!

2. ELIZABETH ELAINE DRESS
UntitledUntitled

I tend to be practical with her clothing, choosing colors and patterns that are unisex so they can be used for future kids, but I had to make a pretty dress just for her. It's still way too big (though it doesn't look bad in the photo), but hopefully it will fit well this fall.

3. PIXIE HAT
UntitledUntitled

I love this hat. It was really simple to make, and a great pattern for using up leftovers, but this kid hates hats. You can actually see her face turning red in the photo because she's getting upset.

4. BABY SOPHISTICATE CARDIGAN
UntitledUntitled

This will make a really great piece in winter if: A. We actually get a respectably cold winter this year, and B. The arms aren't too long.

14 comments:

  1. beautiful knits, beautiful photos and a beautiful baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too - I really hope it fits this winter. ❄️

      Delete
  3. Omg.. all of these are sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's so adorable in her beautiful hand-knits! Baby Sophisticate has to be the cutest baby pattern ever. It's my go-to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baby knits are just so cute. Especially love the soakers and the cardigan. I hope her growing works out so that she can wear all those precious handmades in winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, is she beautiful! I have tried to learn how to knit so many times, I just can't get it. I feel like I should be a knitter so I keep trying! :)

    I'm so glad to have found you on instagram as well....your feed is lovely.♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is adorable, congratulations on the new addition to your family. Your knitting is beautiful, I could not pock one piece over another as my favorite. Your daughter is a great model.

    ReplyDelete