In the Garden

May 6, 2015

Untitled

Aside from pulling weeds and planting a few flowers, we haven't done much gardening this year, but back in the first week of April, just before the baby came, we decided to take a trip to the garden center to see if they had any tomatoes. It was too early in the season, but the weather around here has been so warm that we thought it was worth the risk, so we brought a few varieties home and planted them deep in our garden boxes out front where the sun shines the brightest.

It's been a month now, and despite the close calls (a few nights where the lows dropped into the 30's), our tomato plants are growing well. I'm even seeing some blossoms! We might get an early tomato harvest this year after all.

We've also got some edibles that are returning from last season: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and herbs. I may even get some beans and cukes and a few other things planted this weekend since it's supposed to be warm.

What's going on in your garden?

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just have to get the tomatoes in when you can. Glad the weather is working with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted tomatoes a few weeks back...two red ones ready to pick...small but red so that 's a promising start
    warm and sunny in So. Cal and planting time is year round..along with weeding..hope to put a cutting garden in this year!
    happy thursday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there new mama. :) I am so impressed that you have the mental energy to think about the garden, when I was a new mother I just couldn't, the experience was so all-encompassing that my brain had very few cycles left over for really anything that was not-baby. I actually just wrote about my garden on my site yesterday or the day before, trying to keep it simple this year. Happy spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Laura, I can't believe you're even able to think about anything but the wee one, but I'm sure that as love flourishes, so does your garden <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds lovely and plentiful! My tomato plants are growing nicely indoors as yet and I am hoping to harden them off next weekend. Amazing that you are able to think about your garden and all that with a newborn at home :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful garden! Those tomatoes are pretty grown already. Lovelty roses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful garden! Those tomatoes are pretty grown already. Lovelty roses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful garden! Those tomatoes are pretty grown already. Lovelty roses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete