Spring Disarray

March 23, 2015

Untitled

I'm so happy that it's raining. Somehow I find myself more inclined to stroll around outside when there's a light drizzle and breeze. It feels so refreshing and much more seasonally appropriate than the warm, sunny days we've had this month.

Untitled

Outside, some of last year's planted fruits and flowers are cropping up in our garden beds and containers alongside a healthy covering of grass and weeds. I know I'll have to pluck out the wild things eventually, but I'm loving the chaos of it all growing and spiraling up together for now. It forces me look a little closer at the ground to find the hidden gems.

UntitledUntitled

And then there are the spring flowers that seem to disappear just as soon as they appear. The camellias are so pretty when they bloom, but I've never had much of an affinity for them. I wouldn't have planted them myself, but I don't mind keeping remnants of the previous owner here and there. Our neighbors tell me she loved her garden and was very fond of rhododendrons, camellias, roses and spring bulbs. We've changed the dynamic of our yard a lot over the past three years, but we've kept some things in her honor.

UntitledUntitled

And then there's the wilderness of the great indoors, of which I have a decidedly different perspective. You could call it "nesting" or "spring cleaning," but the gist is the same. We're in the midst of a cleaning and organizing frenzy right now, which comes in part from necessity.

Untitled

But another part of this is definitely ritualistic. A way for me to wrap my head around our impending transition into parenthood. A physical manifestation of my nervousness and excitement and impatience. It's soothes me to use my hands, and helps me feel more clear and ready for change. That's the idea, at least.

4 comments:

  1. Love these glimpses into your yard and house. Cleaning and organizing is definitely good for the mind, I love a good purging and it's amazing how quickly stuff piles up again! I'll take your sunshine for you if you don't want it, we've had rain enough lately ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, yeah. It has been 70F and sunny for the past two days! Matt and I are heading out to plant some tomatoes and other garden plants in just a moment. March is officially the earliest a tomato of mine has ever hit the soil.

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are so beautiful! And I love all the swatches on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alina. The cats like the knits too. They think I've made them just for sleeping on. :)

      Delete