On and Quickly Off the Needles

February 9, 2015

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled

I've been knitting a lot of baby things, as you might imagine. There's proof of this all over my Instagram feed, though I haven't said much about it here. The problem is - and this is a good problem to have - that I've been making things too quickly. All of my holiday knits (few as they were) were made in haste, bound off and given away before I thought to snap a finished shot for my Ravelry project page.

As for baby knits, I've mostly tossed them in a heap where they've languished, waiting for me to get around to soaking, blocking, weaving in ends and sewing on buttons. This leaves me with lots of almost-finished WIPs, but nothing fully complete to share. Baby knits finish so quickly that it's just not worth it for me to bring out the blocking mats every time a project comes off the needles. I'd rather cast on for the next thing right away and do the rest of the finishing work all at once.

Untitled

Still, I do have one thing I can finally show you: this Elizabeth Elaine dress designed by Taiga Hilliard that I finished over the weekend. Up until now, I've remained relatively unisex with the clothes I've made for baby girl in hopes to get more use out of them with future offspring, but I couldn't help myself. I had to make her a pretty dress.

The yarn was an easy choice - something I've had in my stash for awhile. It was originally meant for a different pattern entirely which is why I had four balls, but I decided it wasn't for me long ago, and would be perfect for this pattern. It's pink, but not too pink, with bits of purple and yellow mixed in. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I still have nearly three balls of this stuff in my stash, so I have to figure out what else I can do with it. The woes of a stashbuster.

It's not a perfectly executed piece of work. I'm pretty sure I messed up the lace by one stitch somewhere, and try as I might to fix it on the go, something still feels a little off about it. I'll know for sure once I've blocked it. Lace is so gorgeous and gratifying to knit, but I still tend to prefer the endless rows of stockinette stitch in the round. I love the way it looks and feels, and I love how mindless and therapeutic it is to knit, especially when I've got my head in the clouds, which is often these days.

8 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Could you please tell me what is the yarn on the basket (photo on the right, second row of photos). I am looking for yarn that is bulky like that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Ines. The yarn is Knit Picks Biggo - here's the link: http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/knit-picks-biggo

      Delete
  2. So cute!! I can't wait to see your little girl wearing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've been busy!! As always I love the colors you pick, all those lovely neutrals and browns. The dress is gorgeous, she'll be the best dressed baby :) I'm with you on the stockinette knitting, don't find it boring at all. Very meditative really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very meditative, and I really love the way it looks. So simple and clean and functional.

      Delete
  4. I so admire your knitting, all of your work is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete