In the Garden

February 28, 2015

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled

I wasn't going to garden much this year. With the baby due in early April, I thought we'd be too busy adjusting to our new life during the peak planting season to get anything done, but the closer we come to her arrival date, the more I start to think about scenes from the future, like how nice it would be to feed her out on the back deck with big pots of flowers and herbs growing around us, and how it might be fun to grow a few sweet veggies, like carrots, and puree them for her first solid bites of garden food. So although we're taking it easy, growing just the simple things we love most, we're taking advantage of the season's early arrival to get a head-start on this year's gardening.

I really can't believe time is passing by so quickly. When we first found out we were pregnant, every day seemed to take an eternity. Now it's just the opposite, of course. I'm running out of time to prepare for all the things that need doing - the work I need to finish before going on maternity leave, the baby's nursery, the house, the yard work, etc. It's a little overwhelming to think about, especially when you're trying your best to keep the stress down.

To be honest, pregnancy has eased a lot of my normal edginess. I've been laid back, non-confrontational, living in the moment... it has been a slow, sweet time. That's not to say the stress hasn't caught up with me from time to time, and when it does, it usually happens at 2am and won't let up until I wake Matt up to rant and rave about all the THINGS WE MUST DO. Poor Matt. Though, I have to say, those midnight bouts have kept us well on track. Perhaps they stem from anxiety dreams, but I like to think of it as my subconscious sorting out all of the things my conscious mind overlooks or hasn't thought through, and then uploading it all into my consciousness in one abrupt, jolting swoop.

We haven't finished everything we set out to do before she arrives, and we probably won't, but we're pretty much good to go. And who knows? Maybe it'll feel like vacation to us once she finally gets here. Hah.

11 comments:

  1. lovely flowers and since I'm in a snow fall currently (not complaining, I love snow) I find your bursts of colors delightful. Good luck with the baby, fun times are ahead whether you are ready or not :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I'm definitely a little jealous of your snow. Maybe we'll get a little next year. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I've just found your blog and instantly fell in love with it. Your flowers are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to have found you again ... I used to read your lovely blog but somehow lost it (does that only happen to me, I do hope not).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, I did drop off the face of the planet for the first half of the year. Thanks for coming back. :)

      Delete
  4. I do that too, and I'm not even pregnant! Though I usually try not to wake my husband up unless it is really bad. There are a few breathing exercises that I use help to get rid of those anxiety loops. My favorite is rolling sevens: you count each breath up to seven and then count back down. So like this: breathe in, one; breathe out, 2; breathe in, 3; breathe out, 4; breathe in, 5; breathe out, 6; breathe in, 7; breathe out, 6; etc... You relax the rest of your body and completely focus on breathing and counting and eventually you'll fall asleep, or stop thinking about whatever you were thinking about (you can do it during the day, sitting comfortably, too). Though some people really don't like the counting... The more you practice those exercises (there are a bunch, look up mindfulness exercises) the easier it is to just push those thoughts out of your head instead of listening to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, yes. I should try these breathing exercises. Oddly, I rarely get overloaded with stress throughout the day. It's always at night when I'm supposed to be sleeping that my mind starts to mull over all the things I haven't done yet, and then, of course, I sleep terribly, if at all. Thanks so much for the suggestion - I'll try it next time.

      Delete
  5. Oh jealous of your abundance of flowers <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, all the pretty colors! I always do that too - waking up way too early because the mind is suddenly catching up and sorting stuff. It's nice to hear you have been having an relaxing time otherwise though :) I think living in the moment is something having babies teaches you - not that I'd know by experience ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden makes me actually ashamed of the state of ours. Your container gardening has made me think that's maybe the way for us to go though. food for thought.

    ReplyDelete