Early Spring

February 20, 2015

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled
{Flowery scenes from where I work in Portland}

Despite the past month's sunshine and warmer weather, I've been in denial about the arrival of early spring this year. I look at some of you in other parts of the country (and other parts of the world) with your mounds and mounds of snow, and I feel like we missed out on a legit winter this season. Not that it necessarily snows here every year - it doesn't - but we usually get a good month or two of proper bundle-up-with-a-hot-cup-of-tea-near-the-fire weather at least. But this year? This year, late fall has extended itself right into early spring, and I don't think it's going off course anytime soon.

So I give in. It's spring. It's time to till the garden, plant the flowers, sew the seeds and watch it all mysteriously grow like it does every year. Hooray! Kinda.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, what a difference from where I live. We are buried in snow. I absolutely adore your blog. I have been reading through it over the last few days. Looking forward to so much more. Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla. I'm glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  2. Farmers here in the pacific northwest are very worried about the pests that are already in full populations, as well as the blossoms on all the fruit bearing trees. If there is a big freeze or dump of cold weather, our fruit crops could be severely affected. While I'm sort of okay with embracing spring, and the cherry blossoms that have already followed the crocuses and snowdrops, I'm not really. We have absolutely no snow pack on our mountains to fill our reservoirs to get us through this summer. Extreme weather changes don't have to be uncomfortable to be problematic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. That sounds about right. There are always so many potential disasters when the weather doesn't cooperate. It's a little terrifying.

      Delete
  3. I know. It's so weird. I mean I don't hope for a freeze any more because so many things would die, but at the same time: DANG! What Karen said. Apparently all kinds of pests are reaching peak populations and at the same time, we're good on water, but I know a lot of the state is not. No matter how lovely, whether changes make me nervous and queasy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, there'll be winter again in no time ;) Enjoy the warmth and sunshine and flowers while so many are still shovelling snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your snow scenes sure look dreamy. I'll be crossing my fingers we get some of that next winter. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm with you, our Winter (what we usually have), was too short. I too, have sadly began putting away the warm sheets and long-sleeved clothing.
    Those are some beautiful flower scenes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      To be honest, I never really even had the chance to put my warm things to use this year. I think we had, what, one week of below-freezing temperatures. So crazy and un-PWN-like.

      Delete
  6. I'm holding off just a little bit longer in planting things. I just don't trust that there won't be a freeze or two between now and spring-proper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, tonight's lows were in the low 30's, so perhaps you are wise to hold off. What sorts of things will you be planting?

      Delete
  7. I'd be happy to send you a box of snow and ice. Maybe in exchange for some of those lovely flowers? Or anything alive, really. :)

    ReplyDelete