Chocolate Almond Butter

February 16, 2015

Untitled

I've been eating this chocolate nut butter a lot lately, and whenever I notice myself coming back to a recipe over and over again, I find it best to add it here to my collection of tried and true go-to's. I do this partly for you, just in case you were looking for something delicious to eat, but mostly for me. With my terrible memory, it's best to keep my favorite recipes all in one easy to access location.

This is fantastic to eat with a crispy cold honeycrisp apple, or as a dollop in a bowl of oatmeal in the morning with a handful of frozen berries (Oregon strawberries are my fave). It's rich, chocolatey and has a really nice coconut aftertaste. Plus it's super easy to make and customize. Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Almond Butter
2 cups unsalted roasted almonds
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon salt

If you start with raw almonds, place them on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Preheat the oven to 350°F, and place in the oven on the center rack for 10 minutes or so, or until they are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

Place almonds in food processor and run, scraping down the sides as needed, until almonds have turned into a creamy butter. This usually takes 5-10 minutes for me.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, place the chocolate chips, coconut oil, cocoa powder honey and salt. Stir frequently until the chocolate has melted and mixture is combined, remove from heat (don't overheat or the chocolate will burn), and add to the food processor with the almond butter.

Run the food processor again until the chocolate mixture is mixed thoroughly with the almond butter, scraping the sides as needed. Pour into clean mason jars and store in the cupboard for up to a month (or two), or the refrigerator for up to six months.

That's it! Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe. it looks really good. I had been wondering if you were still doing a paleo diet or something similar. What brand of chocolate chips did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually taking a break from paleo while I'm pregnant. I've been so finicky about food that I haven't wanted the extra stress, but it's something I plan to pick back up once baby is here.

      I think I just used Trader Joe's chocolate chips.

      Delete
  2. Lindsay! This may actually make my life. Almonds are my favourite, and I find chocolate hazelnut spread to hazelnutty. I'll be putting some of this on my pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree with you. Even when I use hazelnuts, I like to cut them with almonds to give it a more rounded flavor. Let me know what you think if you try it!

      Delete
  3. Lindsay! This may actually make my life. Almonds are my favourite, and I find chocolate hazelnut spread to hazelnutty. I'll be putting some of this on my pancakes!

    ReplyDelete