Strange Behavior

January 30, 2015

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled

The weather has been strange this month and it feels so... off. It has been warm and sunny, and we haven't had much rain, let alone snow or anything resembling your typical PNW midwinter.

All this springlike weather has me panicked about my garden plans. Should I haul in a load of compost? Should I get my seed starts going in the window sill? Or will everything take a sudden turn for the worst, freezing all the freshly blooming daffodils, camellias and other spring-loving plantlife in a sudden flash? It seems a bit risky to try anything just yet, but the sunshine is compelling me to go outside and play in the dirt.

Not only are the plants acting strange, but the chickens seem to be a little confused too. Amelia Pond, the hen hanging out on my arm in the photo above, laid a gorgeous egg for us a few weeks ago. Just one, and nothing since. And not only was it a gorgeous egg because of its pretty blue-green color, but it was beautiful because it had me dreaming of all the 3-egg days to come.

 Untitled

As proficient as Seven of Nine and Milly (the black hens) are with their eggs, we've found that two layers don't quite cut it for us and our level of egg consumption, so we've gone back to (rather impatiently) waiting for miss Amelia Pond and Starbuck to resume their duties in the coming months. Until then, I hope they're enjoying all the golden sunshine because, as strange or wrong as it seems, it's also rather lovely.

6 comments:

  1. It's very strange here too. There are no signs of winter...it's hard to believe that there have been blizzards in some states this week, and I took a nap outside in the hammock today. I'm going ahead with garden plans and starting seeds this weekend. I can't wait!

    I love your chicken pictures! Your photos have such a beautiful feel to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I wish it was warm enough for some quality hammock time here. That sounds lovely.

      What seeds will you be planting this weekend?

      Delete
  2. That's funny, I thought the US was all covered with snow :) Over here it's been a reassuringly normal winter - some snow, lots of rain, temperatures hovering around freezing point. We've had so many crazy winters (either way too warm or way too cold) that it feels pretty good this way. Hope you'll get more eggs soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had a pretty crazy winter last year didn't you? I seem to remember seeing a lot of snow from your end of the world.

      Delete
  3. The weather has been crazy. I can see the weather people talking about droughts in the near future! LOL. Your chickens are lovely, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will gladly share some of our "magical" Canadian snow with you. Our hens have been in coop hiding for 6 weeks since the snow is above their heads. They won't even use the paths we shoveled for them. Poor chickies. Come on SPRING!

    ReplyDelete