New Year's Resolutions 2015

January 17, 2015

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled

I usually have a well thought out list of New Year's resolutions to share every Januray, but I'm feeling rather passive about it this year. It could just be that 2014 was such a drastically different year than I thought it would be when it started, so most of the resolutions I listed for myself failed to apply after the month of February. Or it could be that I anticipate how much our lives will change, and how much of our attention will be on just getting by when baby arrives in just a few short months, so I don't want to worry about overwhelming myself with anything extra.

Still, the process of evaluating my life and making goals is important to me. For one thing, despite the hype surrounding them, New Year's resolutions tend to work for me. It's often motivation enough to know that I've taken the time to set a goal for myself in the first place to get me through moments of aimlessness, even when I can't exactly remember why. For another, most of my resolutions become intertwined in my life so deeply that they eventually cease to require extra thought or effort. They simply become part of the patterns and routines of daily life, which is actually really neat to think about.

So I thought I'd try to come up with a few things to focus on as the craziness of 2015 ensues:

1. Knit my stash

I've been listening to the Woolful podcast lately, which, on top of all-things Wovember, has increased my intrigue for wool even more. And while I've switched to wool and other natural fibers for my knitting projects (aside from those given as gifts for ease of care), I'd really like to support more organic, indie sources that use sustainable, environmentally friendly methods.

Still, I have a rather sizable (for me) stash of yarn that needs to be dealt with, so that's my immediate goal: bust through my stash before buying new yarn. Stashbusting!

2. Stop feeling guilty

This resolution is a subset of my more generalized and ongoing goal of staying positive. Of all the aspects of positivity I struggle with, it's the guilt I take on for nearly everything I do (or everything everyone else does) that seems to be the hardest to shake.

I feel guilty when I knit or spend hours writing, and yet I feel guilty when I don't. I feel guilty whenever anyone does anything nice for me, when I ask for a favor, when my friends are having a rough time, when the good things in my life make others feel bad, when I take a nap during the day, when I don't think about work over the weekend, when I do...

I mean, seriously. I feel guilty all the time, and it has to stop because life is too short, and because guilt-based actions tend to rob from the sincerity and joy that otherwise comes from making choices about how I spend my time. And honestly, other peoples' problems are not mine to take on. I have plenty of my own struggles to deal with.

So that's my goal. Let go of the excess guilt and enjoy life. I'm in a good place right now, and have been for awhile. There's no good reason not to experience it as fully as I can.

3. Remember to focus on things that make me happy

This little lady is still safely tucked in my belly for the time being, but I'm already starting to fathom how easy it could be to make her the center of my universe, which, while both lovely to think about and inevitable at the same time, should not happen at the expense of my own identity. I feel strongly that in order to be a good mother, I need to be well balanced and happy, which means I don't abandon my hobbies, goals and all the things in life that help me function well. So, maybe I won't want to take any time for myself in the first three months or so after she arrives, but I will eventually need to take some time to reflect and think about who I am and what I want within the context of motherhood.

I'm not exactly sure what any of this means right now, but it's something I hope I can come back to and ponder once she's finally here and we've started to settle in a bit.

What about you? Any fun goals for 2015?

8 comments:

  1. HAPPY New Year!

    My resolutions/intentions are , like yours, much less specific than before. The guilt is something I relate to, as is the focusing on being happy/content.
    My only specific goals are learning a language and getting a new job. Otherwise I just want to live better (eat better, excersize a bit more, but also NOT feel guilty that the flat isn't immaculate, that I buy pre-chopped veg because it means I can home cook, That my life is actually ok while others are struggling).

    Good luck with this year. It is sure to bring great adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year 2015! I just love your photos and all the crafts you are making. It's very inspiring. Your resolutions are very good ones, I didn't make any really but just will make an effort to do more sports, do things that makes me happy and enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome goals! Listening to woolful is on my list, though I'm worried it'll make me feel crappy about what a crappy knitter I am ;) I'm knitting my stash though, which is not very big, but a stash none the less. thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look like really good goals for the new year. Especially number 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the stash busting idea! I mostly buy wool with a purpose in mind but I still have it spilling out everywhere! The only time I feel guilty is if I'm NOT knitting, I tend to think I should be doing something creative rather than cleaning everywhere or wasting time on the internet... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when resolutions turn into habits. I make resolutions each year to exercise more and eat better and while it doesn't happen over night, I do get better at it a step at a time. I think that's what resolutions should be - a help to making us better, happier people in time.
    I can so relate to feeling guilty - I feel guilty when I don't work enough and don't meet my own goals and at the same time I feel guilty when I overwork myself and not stop to enjoy life. It's impossible :) Let us know how you get on with that!
    I love your goal to not lose yourself in motherhood. I've friends whose lives started to completely center on their baby the moment it arrived and others who are of course devoted to their child but still have their own interests and lives and I think that is definitely the healthy way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great goals! Best of luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to have found your blog...I've really enjoyed through all your older posts. This is a good list to live by, especially letting go of guilt. I've been working on that one as well. I've come to realize that holding on to guilt is very draining so I hope you can fully accomplish that one!

    Happy New Year! Sarah ♥

    ReplyDelete