On Changing Traditions

December 7, 2014

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. Not for its historical significance, but because I enjoy the tradition of cooking and feasting with friends and family, no strings (gifts) attached.

As time has passed, the routines surrounding this tradition have changed in subtle ways, reflecting the shifts that have occurred in daily life. I feel these changes most acutely this holiday season as the last of my living grandparents, the matriarch of my family, passed away last week, and as the baby girl in my belly makes grandparents of my parents. Nothing stays the same forever, but routines usually linger around long enough for us to feel nostalgic about them, and to bring them back into our lives somehow in an effort to remain connected to the important events and people of our past. Thanksgiving won't be the same next year for me or my family, but it will be reminiscent of and in remembrance of.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. They are felt hardest around the holidays, certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry about your grandma's passing. It is never easy but especially challenging at this time of year.
    How exciting to hear you will be having a little girl and I am having visions of all the lovely things you will be knitting up for her.
    So very happy for you and Matt. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss Lindsay. My mum always said that her traditions we an adaptation of her parents' and that ours would be a version of hers. And she's right. The traditions alter a bit, but the core of them and the sharing and passing down of something is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you lost your grandmother! It's strange how for years things go more or less the same way and then suddenly there is this shift, when you lose people and others come into your life, the end of an era.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss Lindsay

    ReplyDelete