Transformations

October 20, 2014

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled

Yesterday I was outside taking photos of the hens on what may very well have been the last warm, sunny day of the year. It's molting season for the girls right now, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to get some shots of their pinfeathers to include in my upcoming (and very long overdue) backyard chicken update. At first, I tried corralling the ladies into the shady parts of the yard so I could take a decent photo of the group without the sun glaring off their feathers, but after awhile I thought better of it, realizing that they might as well enjoy the warmth from the sunlight while they still can.

Then today, as I was walking to my car after work, I was caught in a drizzle between bouts of downpours. The pavement was drenched with water and soggy fallen leaves, and in the dips where the road meets the sidewalk were gigantic forming puddles, clear from fresh rainfall. The kind of puddles you wish you had rainboots for so you could stomp and splash and soak yourself from head to knee.

We're well into fall now, but for those of us living in the Portland area, the summer sun has been clinging on for dear life. But now the transformation seems official: the leaves are definitely turning, the rain is pouring, and suddenly it seems so much cozier and exciting to be indoors.

As for me, a personal transformation over the past week: the exhaustion, nausea and lack of motivation from my first trimester seem to have suddenly dissipated. It hit me as I was walking in the rain to my car after work today that I feel damn good, and I think I want to blog about it! I can't tell you how happy I am to be feeling well enough (and alert enough) to observe and fully enjoy the vibrancy of fall.

And I also can't tell you how much I appreciate all your comments and support in my last post. I try not to get too gushy about things, but all of the e-mails, blog comments, Facebook messages, phone calls and hugs from the people in our lives - online friends, in-person friends, family and all - have meant a whole lot to both Matt and I. We are so very nervous and excited, and it's such a pleasure to finally share our happy news with you.

Speaking of which, if anyone has any book or film recommendations for us regarding pregnancy or preparing for the first year of having a baby, I would love to hear of them.

18 comments:

  1. Congrats! I'm happy to hear you're feeling better.

    We're expecting our first at the end of March, so it's especially nice to find other bloggers sharing similar experiences. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to you and your family Nadine! It's so fun to find women who are in the same boat. Kinda funny, too, 'cause I've met three ladies since announcing our pregnancy who are due in March. It's a popular month!

      Delete
  2. I remember that day--when all of a sudden just being alive felt good again! Glad you're there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice is to not read too many books on having a baby. It can make your head spin. :) Talk to other mamas. One thing I started doing when I was pregnant and then continued, was to get a nice blank book and start writing letters and notes to your child (and yourself too). I still do this, but with less frequency. It's a nice way to jot down the day to day and the big stuff. Some of the letters I've written may never be seen by Pony Girl, but they were helpful to write. And enjoy this feeling better time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a sweet idea. I've been journaling and keeping track of how far along I am and things like that, but never thought to write directly to the baby. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  4. I never read to many books either. Just mainly "What to Expect" and a few nursing books. Other than that, I just go with what seems the most natural for me. But movies on the other hand-"Look who's Talking and Nine Months" are among my fave pregnancy movies. So happy you are feeling better. That is good good news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yeah, I have the What to Expect app on my phone, but I've never actually read the book. I'll definitely check out those movies! Thanks Chels. :)

      Delete
  5. no reading recommendations…I'm a grandma now so mine would surely be long outdated….but having babies is still the same, enjoy this time…your lives will never be the same again after baby arrives…looking forward to future blogs with your news and knitting

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are feeling better and back to blogging :) I'm obviously no expert on the topic but my best friend (who is doing an amazing job with her baby girl) always advises not to read too much but trust your gut and try not to worry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like everyone agrees with your friend about not reading too much. I'll try to take that advice, but it's definitely hard not to want to research everything. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you feel better! That first trimester can be so hard. Here's to second trimester glow and energy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is beautiful. Congratulations on your pregnancy :) What an exciting time for you and your family!

    PS - I love your IG account, it's so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete