May Faves + Monthly Egg Count

June 2, 2014

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled

May has been such a breath of fresh air for me that I'm a little sad to see it go. That's not to say I'm not happy for the arrival of June. June is my birthday month after all, and this year will be my 30th - a milestone birthday. Luckily I don't (yet) seem to be afflicted with the anxiety that comes from aging and wrinkles and unruly gray strands. Maybe I'm immune to it? Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. I'd like to think I can be at peace with my life no matter what stage I manage to progress to, but I can't predict my future thoughts on such things. In any case, I'm glad to put my 20's behind me. Especially my early 20's.

As for May, I've spent a good portion of the month outside in the garden. Lately I've been planting all the seedlings that have been growing in my window since March. And true to my newfound obsession with flowers, I've been making mixed baskets for our deck railings and hangers. I have baskets near our front and back door, the side of the chicken coop, and have plans for many more to come.

May Favorites:
-On Pathalogical Consumption.
-May garden tips.
-A closet makeover. I'm a sucker for getting rid of things that are never worn, and methods for tiny space organization.
-The incredible edible... violet?
-Eva's post on her trip to Southern Thailand completely captured me. Plus - those curries!
-Brainpickings: The Definitive Manifesto for Handling Haters: Anne Lamott on Priorities and How We Keep Ourselves Small by People-Pleasing
-And, finally, audiobooks! These have made my morning commute less evil. So far, I've "read" Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb (real name: Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden), and I've enjoyed both books. I confess, it's a little hard to get over the audiobook narrators. I would probably enjoy reading much more from my own head rather than having the story interpreted and told to me by someone else, but it's still enthralling enough to keep me out of trouble (read: road rage) while I'm driving.

May Egg Count

Amy: 28 Eggs
Starbuck: 20
Seven: 23
Milly: 20

Total: 91 Eggs

Not bad considering this month's excessive broodiness. Starbuck and Seven were struck with it twice, and Milly once. Amy seems to be the only of our chickens immune to the urges of motherhood.

8 comments:

  1. sounds like May was a great month…and just in case I miss it later this month…wishing you a very special and happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to Portland for a week in Sept…to explore the city, food, sights, etc…any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have one recommendation when people ask me this question: Powell's Bookstore. It's the best.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for including me in the round up! And a very happy birthday month to you!! June is always such a wonderful month, the weather finally starts to turn around and we can get back out in the garden again. Hope you have a wonderful month of celebration and gardening :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, Eva. And thanks for the birthday wishes. :)

      Delete
  4. Have a wonderful June and a wonderful birthday! I turn 30 in September...somehow 27 felt really bad for me but 30 I don't care about so much. I love my life right now, much more than I did my early and middle twenties (the supposed 'time of your life').

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I honestly feel like I wasted the first half of my 20's, so maybe I'm enjoying life more now because I'm making up for lost time. Just a theory.

      I didn't know we were so close in age! Milestone birthdays for us both, then. :)

      Delete