April Faves, Ramblings, and the Monthly Egg Count

May 6, 2014

Untitled Untitled

The weather was warm and summery last week, teetering on the high end of 80°F. We're back into the 60's now, with cloudy skies and plenty of rain in the forecast, but I managed to squeeze in some gardening while it was still sunny.

I finally settled on a place to plant my raspberry and blueberry bushes this year. I chose a spot in the front yard near the fence where there's lots of sun. I wouldn't be surprised if the birds around here steal the berries before we can pick them, but hopefully there's enough for all of us.

I also planted some tomatoes, herbs, and flowers. Lots and lots of flowers. Until recently, I wasn't much interested in growing anything but vegetables, but I've grown very fond of flowers in spring and summer, so I'm playing around with dahlias, pansies, poppies, sunflowers... lots of things I've never tried growing before. Cross your fingers for me that some of my flowers stay alive?

April Faves:

-Flickr's new mobile update. Flickr now has the functionality of Instagram on mobile devices without the constraints of the square image! 'Bout time, Flickr.

-Evernote. I know I'm late to this party, but I love this app. If you're an avid list maker and collector of inspiration, this is a brilliant way to keep your lists, ideas, images, and inspiration organized.

-The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. I had the pleasure of seeing her speak two months ago for her new book Ripper (which I read and didn't like), and she was brilliant, funny, and inspiring. After seeing her live, I decided I wanted to read through some of her most loved novels, so a friend of mine lent me the English translation of The House of the Spirits, and I thought it was great.

-Hannibal. This is the only show on television that my husband and I make time to watch every week together (unless the Blazers game runs overtime, harumph). He even went and bought an antenna so we could watch it in hi-def. It's a bloody, witty, beautiful series, and I really hope they make a third season. Check it out if you like that sort of thing. ;-)

April Eggs!
Seven of Nine: 21
Milly: 27
Starbuck: 20
Amy: 27

Total: 95 eggs!

There would've been more, but Starbuck and Milly went broody in the last two weeks of the month. Still, 95 eggs ain't bad.

4 comments:

  1. Way to step up to the plate, Milly!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was such a good layer, and her eggs are the largest of all the girls. Unfortunately, she just went broody this week, so I doubt she'll be up to the same number for May. I guess they need to take a break sometime, though. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, 95 is a lot of eggs! I've come to love flowers too after only having vegetables on our balcony for years. I started lots from seed but they haven't done as well as the vegetables so I think I'll need to go buy plants soon :)
    I'm looking forward seeing your flowers this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing your flowers too! Those tomatoes you sent me are doing well (whew!). Can't wait to transplant them outside.

      Delete