Naturally Dyed Easter Egg Experiments

April 4, 2014

easter eggs
easter eggseaster eggs

Natural dyes are fascinating. The dyes used for these Easter eggs, for instance, took me by surprise because the onion skins I used to make the coppery red color made for a really intense, effective dye. On the other hand, the cabbage used for the purple dye left such a light stain that I had to add a handful or two of frozen berries to kick up the intensity.

After all is said and done, I'll probably just dye red eggs next year because the pigment from the onion skins (both red and yellow) is so rich and satisfying that the rest don't really compare. For a tutorial on dying your eggs these three natural dye colors, check out my post for the Evermine Blog.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend, rain or shine.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, these colors are so intense! I tried dyeing with onion skins a few years ago and it was a light yellow but yours are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @katrina: Hmm, light yellow was the color I was getting at first, but after 30 minutes if cooking the onion skins, the water turned super dark red/brown. Also, I used onion skins from 8 onions, so maybe it was the combination of red+yellow skins in large quantity plus long cooking time? I hope it works a little better for you if you try again!

      Delete
  2. Onion skins and silk wrapping makes an amazing marbling effect. Love these! Happy Oestre Days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @milla: ooh, must try that! And same to you. :)

      Delete
  3. Is your chicken Amelia pond named after the Doctor Who character? And if so are you a big fan? Sorry, I'm a new reader and was curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely! i actually really like the lilac colour :) pastels are springy, or?

    wondering if you did this on white or brown eggs?

    thanks! sera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sera: Yeah! Definitely springy. This was done on white eggs from the store.

      Delete
  5. Those yellow eggs are really vibrant! I like the pastel purple, too. One of my friends recently posted something about naturally dyeing eggs and I was shocked at the range of colors and how vivid they were. Blue from red cabbage leaves was surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ness: Yeah, I think that's what makes natural dyes so fun, especially if you're new to it like I am. You never know exactly what shade to expect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Considering the fact that I'm addicted to naturally dyeing lately, I really should dye some eggs.

    I'm really impressed with the onion skins result! When I dyed yarn with onion skins, it resulted in an orange-y yellow. Did you use red onions?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lieslmade: Yeah, it was a mixture of red and yellow onion skins together. The eggs started off as a lighter orange-yellow - possibly similar to the yarn? Then they deepened to a dark coppery red over time.

    ReplyDelete