Garden Notes

April 18, 2014

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled

The seedlings I planted in the window at the end of March are taking off. I didn't use supplemental lighting, so they may be a bit leggy, but they're doing much better than any of my previous attempts at starting seeds indoors.

Outside, we've got our mint, arugula, lavender and chives potted, and I've planted lettuce greens and peas. They should sprout any day now, and they'll be protected by the small chicken wire fencing we put up along the perimeter of the yard. So far, the fence has been enough of a deterrent for the hens that they don't hop over even though they easily could. However, it does pose other interesting problems:

For the past (almost) two years that we've been living here, we've noticed cat droppings here and there throughout the yard. Especially during garden season when the soil is tilled and loose. Well, last weekend the chickens were being noisy so I peeked outside to see what the problem was. I found six cats - six! - in our tiny backyard watching Starbuck lay an egg in her corner of the coop floor where she always lays.

I dashed outside to shoo them away, but they got confused with the new chicken fencing, and four of them were stuck in a frantic frenzy trying to figure out how to escape. They finally figured it out after I backed off enough to give them some space, and I haven't seen them since.

8 comments:

  1. Ahahah poor cats ! I wish i could see their faces :)
    Lovely photos!
    Boa Páscoa! ( Happy Easter )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yeah, those cats were terrified. I think they're used to being shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahah! Cats and chickens have a weird dynamic...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just glad the hens are roughly the same size as a house cat or we'd be feeding te neighborhood...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing all the seedlings take off. Those poor cats got the scare of their lives, which might just keep them out of your garden for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a hilarious image in my head imagining those kitties trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Too funny. What plant is that in the first image? Alium?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the richness of these photos!

    I don't use any artificial lighting and now I see why my sprouts have gotten a bit leggy...

    It's a shame those cats had to learn the hard way but I hope it keeps them out of your yard for a while. :)

    I'm a little nervous about the cat and chicken situation around here. I know once the hens get big enough, it shouldn't be a problem but my one cat is pretty fierce and not afraid of animals that are bigger than her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lot of growth in a month, and will be some lovely eating! My in-law's dogs starts at their chickens for hours. The chickens are sneaky though!

    ReplyDelete