Spring Gardening Plans

March 7, 2014

UntitledUntitled

By this time last year, I was already growing peas on my front porch, and they were just starting to sprout. I also had six garden boxes set up in my backyard for the bulk of our vegetable gardening, but those boxes were removed after the final harvest in fall because our chickens have forced us to rethink our entire garden layout. Basically, I'm starting from scratch. Again.

In some ways, I'm relieved. I really enjoy the process of starting over, especially if something isn't working, and right now our backyard is a mess. There are giant dirt patches where the old garden boxes used to be, and the chickens have scratched and dug at the loose soil so much that we're slowly losing our lawn. I go outside with a rake every weekend to pile it all back in place so the grass underneath doesn't die off, but I'll eventually need to figure out something more permanent.

Is it possible to have chickens AND a nice backyard? I'm determined to make it happen (or at least try).

6 comments:

  1. If you can keep the chickens off the grass for about 2 or 3 weeks in the spring (or limit them some, at least) to give the grass a chance to get started the grass will eventually be able to hold it's own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it. We've been keeping them in the coop four days out of the week while we're both at work, so hopeful that will give the grass a fighting chance.

      Delete
  2. We only have 2 chickens and still fight for a nice backyard. It's a challenge but I'll take fresh eggs over a perfect lawn any day :)
    If you come up with any solutions please share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're building a picket fence around the coop - so they can destroy that part of the yard, but still have outdoor running space. I don't know if something similar would work for you too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @kelly: Will do. :)

    @ella: I think we're going to fence off portions of our backyard too. I'm hoping it'll be cute and secret garden-y rather than like a giant cheesy maze.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say much about chickens and gardening but I look forward to seeing what you come up with :) Garden planning is such fun.

    ReplyDelete