Garden Notes: Starting Seeds

March 28, 2014

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled

Last weekend, we pulled one of our shelving units from the basement, gave it a good dusting off, and set it up in our south facing window in the dining room so we could start some seeds. We also bought a full-spectrum light from the store, but I'm hoping the seedlings get enough direct sunlight here that we won't need to set it up.

Among those planted, we have:
-Flowers: marigolds, nasturtiums, and sunflowers
-Herbs: sage and chives (we also have lavender and mint herb starts)
-Arugula
-Peas
-Peppers: cayenne, jalapeno, and poblano
-Tomatoes sent to me from Katrina (SO excited for these!)
-Succulents. My three surviving succulent plants are going crazy, so I'm attempting to propagate.

So far, the arugula, peas, and sunflower seeds have already sprouted. Again, I have to say: It never fails to surprise me when something I plant actually grows. Nature is magic.

13 comments:

  1. Yes, nature is magic! Our lettuce, spinach, chard and carrots have sprouted in the polytunnel! Waiting out this pouring rain to plant some potatoes, beans, cucumbers! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the rain is kind of a bummer isn't it? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's raining, but there's so much gardening to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love following the progress of your garden, so I'm super excited to see all those little sprouts! If only I had the space inside and out for even a container garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, Ness! Not even a sunny window for herbs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to try this next year! Need to figure out where I can put it though, or convince the bf that it would be worth having a shelving unit in out eating area haha

    A question: is there an advantage to starting things like arugula inside? I was just planning on starting mine outside from seed in a month or so.

    Sera

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sera - I think the only real advantage to starting arugula indoors is that the seeds might germinate faster because it's warmer. I'll be taking mine outside soon (if not this weekend). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your indoor nursery, it doesnt' take much room to really get a head start on the season.

    We have some little 'pods' in the south facing, living room window here at City House. The Pak Choi, Swiss Chard, Russian Red Kale and Zucchini have already sprouted and only 6 days in...I will be doing Arugula too but putting it directly outside in a few weeks...and after 'Noah' gives the all clear on the flood! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flood indeed. So much rain! And speaking of Noah, have you seen the movie yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too, I can't believe the tiny seedlings grow into such big plants, year after year. It's amazing! Love that your propagating your succulents, they're so pretty! I'll have to give mine a bit of care too, repotting and such after winter.
    Good luck with your garden plans :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely LOVE succulents! They are so green cheerful and resilient looking. Would love to know if the propagating works!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I wish I was that far along! I'm still trying to figure out if we even have enough water to plant anything...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Suave Family: I'll keep you posted! I've never had much luck with succulents because I tend to overwater them, but I have high hopes for these.

    @Milla: Oh no! I'll cross my fingers for luck for you.

    ReplyDelete