On the Needles

January 15, 2014

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled

First, for a (belated) Christmas gift to Matt, I made a pair of wooly socks inspired by Jane Richmond's Climb pattern. I still haven't purchased her pattern, or constructed socks using the toe-up method, but I will eventually. For now, I base most of my socks on a free pattern called Simple Ankle Socks by Heidi Braacx. I've used this pattern to personalize several pairs of socks now, mostly by adding length or playing with design. It's simple and easy to memorize, and super customizable, which makes it the perfect on-the-go project when I don't have the time or brain power for something more complicated.

After casting off Matt's socks, I immediately started another pair for me while watching Return of the King this weekend. In fact, from this point on, I'll probably always have a pair of socks on the needles, even if they're super simple because they're so incredibly cozy and warm. I want as many pairs as possible.

Finally, I was also able to make some progress on my Shapely Boyfriend cardigan this week. I had to set this thing down over the holidays because I had so much going on, but it's nice to pick it up again. I'm now somewhere in the middle of waist shaping, and so far, so good. I'm loving the tweed.

8 comments:

  1. Those socks look so comfortable..It still amazes me that people can knit socks that actually look like socks and not some big old thick, sweater looking things. The needles that you use must be very small.
    I really should make an effort to learn this, if nothing else than for my hubby. He is very picky about his socks because the seam across the toe makes him crazy in his work boots, so it is hard to find ones that are flat right there. It looks like the ones that you have made for Matt are nice across the top...Such a nice gift. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the needles are teeny tiny. Comparable to toothpicks.

      I, too, hate the line near the toe on normal socks. That's one of the great things about these - you can jut graft the two ends together at the toe for a seamless, lineless join. :)

      Delete
  2. The socks are beautiful!! I love everything about handmade socks...the look, the feel and the process of making them :)
    Yay for the cardigan! I am hard on your heels for that one, I'm about to start the waist shaping. Which reminds me I really need to blog about it! I LOVE your tweed yarn, it will be so beautiful when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Can't wait to read about how yours is coming along. :)

      Delete
  3. You are a very sweet wife to make your hubby, not one, but two pairs of socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @meryl: Haha, actually he's up to three pairs now. I had a pair I made for me that stretched out too big because of the yarn I was using. Lucky guy indeed. :P

      Delete
  4. Those are such beautiful socks! You are so skilled Lindsay! I am working on crocheting some slippers at the moment, we'll see how they go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lisa-Marie: thank you! I'd love to see how the slippers turn out if you don't mind sharing. I've been looking for a good slipper pattern for awhile now. :)

      Delete