Olive Snook: Rest in Peace

January 29, 2014

Starbuck and Olive

Okay. Here goes.

On Monday, when we went outside to lock the girls up for the night, we noticed Olive Snook was missing. The other three were roosting, safe and sound, but Olive was nowhere to be found. We searched for hours with flashlights in the dark, and enlisted our neighbors to search their yards for any sign of her, but we were forced to go to bed that night, worried and unsatisfied.

The next morning, we woke up early, hoping she would magically appear for breakfast with the rest of the flock, but it wasn't long before our neighbor - the one with an adjacent backyard - came to the door to give us the sad news. As it turns out, Miss Olive was unsatisfied with the nesting options in our yard (I assume this because she seemed incredibly stressed during laying times, and kept moving her nest), so she decided to hop the 6ft. fence to see what was on the other side. Unfortunately, within the confines of that fence resides our neighbor's large husky, and dogs being dogs, Miss Olive didn't make it back out again.

Olive SnookOlive Snook
OliveOlive

Even before we decided to raise chickens last year, I knew there would be chicken casualties, and that they would be more commonplace than your typical household pet. I knew about chicken diseases and injuries, and that some tend to live longer than others. I also knew these losses would be hard on me. I grew up in a home where injured raccoons and opossums and even skunks were taken in and rehabilitated before being released back into the wild, so I was very much raised to value animal life. And Miss Olive? She's our first real pet loss, and we are mourning her.

Untitled

If you follow my chicken posts, you'll know that Olive stole our hearts after her leg injury last summer. I would have considered her aloof before that, but after spending some quality time together while caring for her injury, she warmed right up, displaying a curiosity about us humans that she hadn't had before. She would follow us around in the yard, and didn't seem to mind if we felt like carrying her around in our arms. She would even hop up on the railing of our deck and peek in to see what we were up to.

Untitled

I think the hardest part for me is the timing. Unlike our other three girls who started laying late last summer, Miss Olive didn't lay her first egg until two and a half weeks ago. Before then, she was scrawny and awkward, but toward the end of December was when she really started to mature. Her body seemed fuller and more healthy, her comb and wattles were red and plump, and her leg showed no sign of a limp. She was a pretty bird, and she was at her peak.

UntitledUntitled

As they say, every cloud has a silver lining, and mine is the relationships we've built with our neighbors in the past year and a half of living here. Matt and I tend to be on the shy side, so although we make efforts when we can, we have to give credit to our chickens for sparking conversations we might've never had otherwise.

Although the circumstances were bad, this whole ordeal with Olive has connected us with a neighbor we hadn't met before, and despite the fact that our animals met with an unfortunate clashing, we were able to support each other through it. We even made a deal with them for a trade of goods: our fresh eggs for their homemade wine (and it's good stuff - we opened a bottle and gave a toast to Olive last night).

So there you have it, the conclusion of the story of Olive Snook (the Chicken). She will be missed.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you lost Miss Olive so soon. She was a very lovely chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hate that! It is so hard to lose them, it really is. We lost a couple one year, and it didn't get much easier. Cheers to Olive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lindsay, such sad news about Miss Olive, I have tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.
    We have lost many chickens and it isn't easy ever, but we never had them as pets like you and Matt do...makes it so much more difficult.

    We had problems with the chickens jumping fences too but when we had a good rooster, he would mostly not let them go over fences...Are you aloud to have roosters? Just a thought.

    Much love to you and Matt. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, no. No roosters in town where we live, but that's a nugget of information I'll definitely keep when we move to a more rural home someday. And thank you.

      Delete
  4. Oh, how sad! We've talked about getting chickens for the last couple of years, and I know I would struggle with this aspect of it. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no--poor Olive! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that she was still a very lucky chicken to have had such a wonderful life with you, even if it was shorter than you would have liked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, I'm so sorry, Lindsay :( She was beautiful! I'm glad you are able to see the silver lining and have made a connection with your neighbour. Keep Olive in her memories as a wonderful, healthy and special chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for your loss. We lived on a farm and raised all kinds of fowl. I used to chuckle, reading your chicken posts and my daughter, now a mother in her own right, asked about it. That was when I started reading your posts out loud. She asks me all the time about your chickens. It will be very sad to tell her about Miss Olive. People in South Dakota are mourning her loss, too. I wish we could ease your sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your comments, everyone. My husband has been reading them, too, and they've been of great comfort to us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your loss. We got chickens about the same time as you did and a few months ago one of ours got into the dog pen where our husky got to her before we could. It is a sad thing to go through, but glad you are seeing a silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh she was so beautiful. I am so sorry for your chickie loss. We lost our whole flock of three last spring via weasel. Poor things are so vulnerable. She certainly lived a very valued, and lovely life with your family. <3

    ReplyDelete