Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes

January 24, 2014

Untitled

As I mentioned in my last post, I found a recipe this weekend for gluten-free pancakes that makes me not miss the traditional wheat pancakes I've eaten all my life. Not only are they delicious, but they won't make you feel like you've eaten a brick either. If you're someone who doesn't have a problem digesting gluten, and you eat wheat products on a regular basis, you might not like these as much, but for someone who has been off gluten for awhile, these could be a godsend on days where all you're craving is a giant plate of traditional Sunday breakfast pancakes.

Instead of using butter and maple syrup to top mine off, I had frozen raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries in the freezer (picked and frozen last summer), so I poured a handful of each into a saucepan, and warmed them with a little honey, cinnamon, and a tiny pinch of salt. I topped my pancakes with a tablespoon of this stuff, and it was truly delicious.

Banana Pancakes
Serves two to three people.

2 large bananas
3 eggs
3 tablespoons coconut flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
ghee or coconut oil

Untitled

Peel the bananas and place in the bowl of a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients (an immersion blender would also work here). Pulse until the ingredients are well incorporated and smooth.

Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with a tablespoon or two of ghee or coconut oil. Reduce heat to medium, and pour the batter onto the skillet so that each pancake measures only 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. You don't want to make your pancakes much bigger than that or they'll be impossible to flip.

Once your pancakes develop bubbles on the surface, they're ready to be flipped. Cook for another minute or two, or until golden brown, and place on a plate until ready to serve.

Serve warm with maple syrup or warmed and lightly honey-sweetened berries.

Recipe adapted from Paleomg.

9 comments:

  1. Lindsay, thank you for sharing this delicious recipe. One of our little granddaughters is on a pretty strict gluten-free diet..this will be such a special treat.

    Wishing you and Matt a lovely weekend..looks like the weather might be perfect. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy weekend to you too! I hope your granddaughter enjoys the recipe. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh yum! May have to make some this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good! I definitely want to try out this recipe. James and I are starting a winter cleanse on Monday (no gluten, dairy, refined sugar, meat (except seafood), caffeine or alcohol) for 10 days. I'm excited to get started :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are delicious! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made them- so yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete