January 8, 2014

Baked Apples

baked apples

For Christmas, I was given a bag full of giant Honeycrisp apples (my favorite), and after snacking on a few in the usual way with sunflower seed butter, I thought it would be fun to fill and bake a couple for Matt and I to eat for breakfast. They were delicious.

Here's how we made them:

Baked Apples
Serves Two

2 large apples
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts and pecans)
1-2 tablespoons dried raisins, currants, or dates (chopped)
1 tablespoon butter or ghee, melted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground ginger, cloves, and/or nutmeg (optional)
Pinch of salt

baked applesbaked apples

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Rinse the apples, and pat dry. Core the with an apple corer or paring knife, and cover the bottom of both apples with a piece of foil. Place in a small baking dish (I used a bread loaf pan), and set aside.

Combine the nuts, dried fruit, butter/ghee, ground spices and the salt together in a small bowl. Using a small spoon, scoop the mixture into the cores of both apples.

Place the baking dish with the filled apples in a preheated oven for 40-60 minutes, or until the apples are soft. Remove from oven, and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm.

7 comments:

Lola Nova said...

Yum! The perfect thing for this weather. I bet your house smelled divine! Happy New Year!

Sherri B. said...

Oh this sounds so good..and your photos are marvelous!

I have some organic delicious apples that I got at Costco..Hubby and I were disappointed to find them lacking in flavor. I wonder if they would hold up to this recipe..it would be nice to spice them up a bit. (although, the chickens would love us to toss them their way).
xo

tidytipsy said...

That sounds soo good! Real winter food :)

Meryl said...

At times like this I wish I could smell through the internet!

Lap Dog Knits said...

this is perfect….thank you….I have several apples that have been waiting ….. never made it into my lunchbox this past week….sunday breakfast…apples

BTW:…my chicken hopped up on my back today…I was thrilled…they are so funny…a neighbors cat went into the coop…the chickens sat in a bucket of dirt and didn't ruffle a feather...

Lindsay McCoy said...

It's so cute when they hop up on you of their own free will isn't it? I have a brown sweater I wear whenever I'm outside doing chicken chores because my Easter egged is always flying up on my arm or shoulder. :)

RosaMarĂ­a said...

they really look delicious! I have to try it!