WIP: Handsewn Heirloom Patchwork Quilt

December 17, 2013

WIPUntitled
UntitledUntitled

A few months ago, I was contacted by The Amazings, a London-based company that facilitates the teaching of craft skills from one generation to the next. Recently, The Amazings have decided to expand internationally, offering online classes in a wide and growing variety of subjects, and I was asked to help sense-check and review a few of these video classes for them.

Untitled

Once I learned about The Amazings and their mission, I got really excited. I wasn't taught much about crafts as a kid, so most of what I now know about knitting, crocheting, and sewing has been self-taught. And although self-teaching has its merits, I find there are often gaps in my knowledge that would've otherwise been filled had I learned from a skilled family member or craftsperson.

That’s where The Amazings’ online courses come in. For each class (I've taken three so far), there is an elder who is highly skilled in their particular craft, and a student who learns from them, asks questions, and partakes in the act of creating. As you experience the student-teacher dynamic in each video, you learn about the craft in such a way that you feel immersed in the whole experience. It almost makes you feel like you're right there in the room with them, which is something I found particularly helpful.

Untitled

Of the three classes I enrolled in, I was most looking forward to the class about Handsewing an Heirloom Patchwork Quilt. I've been collecting fabric (mostly bed sheets and pillow cases) from thrift stores for a few years now, and this class finally gave me an excuse put my collection of fabric to use. And although my sewing knowledge was limited, and my quilting experience was absolutely non-existent, I was able to start piecing my own quilt together right away, and I’m super excited about how it’s turning out so far.

Untitled

Unfortunately, the holiday season hit just as I was in the middle of my quilt-making, so I’ve had to put the project aside until after the New Year. My initial goal was to completely finish the quilt before sharing it with you here, but I decided I couldn't sit on it any longer.

I still have a few choices to make regarding its final size (right now, it's the perfect size for a lap quilt) and edging. Do I want to keep the edges jagged? Do I want to make them even and bind them? There's a lot to decide, but I'll keep you updated as I go along.

9 comments:

  1. This is going to be gorgeous--what a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey,,,,,
    do you sleep?
    your projects are always amazing, not a single detail missed

    this will be wonderful and I'm glad you didn't make us wait to see it until it's finished - it looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is soo gorgeous! Handsewn quilts are such a special thing to make and have, you'll really treasure this when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome! Checked out the site myself, and bought this quilting class as well. Can't wait to start on it, thanks for the great find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question though, how many inches across are your hexagons? Did you print off the template from the class? Mine look bigger than yours and thats where I got mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Robyn, I did use the template supplied by the class. From point to point, my hexagon is about 11cm in diameter (just under 4 1/2 inches). Is yours the same size?

      Delete
  6. Oh Linsdsay, it;s beautiful. What a lovely mix of colours and textures. I'm now going to find out if the do anything Scotland based, as I'd really like to learn to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a wonderful project! And it looks beautiful so far. :) I can't wait to see how it looks when you're done with it.

    ReplyDelete