Knitterly Things

December 12, 2013

UntitledUntitled

I do believe this is the first year where I’ve had all of my Christmas gifts prepared well enough in advance to sit back, relax, and enjoy other non-holiday-related happenings. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of finishing touches that need doing, but for once I don’t feel rushed and anxious, which is especially nice due to the fact that I’ve spent the last day and a half sick in bed. Why does everyone seem to get sick right smack-dab in the middle of the holiday season?

Over the weekend, I made my dad a Hat Shaped Hat for his birthday with a ball of yarn I already had in my stash. I originally bought the yarn for something else entirely, but too much time has passed since then to recall. In any case, I thought it would work perfectly for a masculine hat because it's full of browns and neutrals.

Untitled

Shortly after I finished my dad’s hat, my Knit Picks yarn order arrived. I placed the order during their Black Friday sale because there was a specific colorway I needed for an upcoming project. So, while I was at it, I decided to purchase another three project’s worth of yarn so I could hit the $50 free-shipping requirement. I think ordering yarn this way is the most effective method for me because once I’ve planned out which projects I want to knit, I can just chop away at it, one after the other, without having to spend too much time figuring out the details. I can literally spend hours and hours choosing between colors and fibers.

Untitled
Untitled

As for my current project, the Shapely Boyfriend cardigan, I finally chose a needle size based on my swatches. The Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Tweed yarn that I’m using is light compared to most worsted weight yarns I’ve worked with in the past, so I’ve decided to go up a needle size. Still, despite the compensation, my gauge is off, so I’m knitting the next pattern size. Hopefully the math works out, but if not, I’ll just rip back and start all over again. I usually have to do this once or twice per project anyway, so it doesn’t really bother me anymore.

7 comments:

  1. So sorry you are sick..It does seem like one gets sick at the very worst times (like there is ever a good time).

    I love seeing all of your wool and project. When I grow up I want to knit just like you. :)

    Hope you get to feeling better soon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherri! When I was a kid, I would get sick every year around Christmas time. It was like clockwork. Hopefully this bug goes away soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope the weekend greets you with spunk and illness is a faded memory...you're right,,,seems sickness hits right when you can't manage a single moment for additional stress
    you are soooo organized with the swatches...inspiring
    I thought about ripping back a current project...but changed my mind and continued on - too much other yarn waiting in the wings and I have a bad habit of not finishing projects

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. :) I'm hoping it's gone by the weekend, too. There is much to do.

    I feel that way about my projects, too, sometimes, where I just want to push forward so I can get on with the next project. That's where I think lining up my project list comes in handy because it gives me a reason to finish my current WIP that much faster.

    Good luck with whatever you're working on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you're feeling better! Love all your knitting!! I'm counting on the christmas holidays for mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't see wait to see your cardigan progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a yummy, beautiful pile 'o' yarn!

    ReplyDelete