Weekend Snapshots: New Lighting

November 11, 2013

UntitledUntitled
UntitledUntitled

Confession: I've been dying to update the lighting in my home ever since we moved here back in July 2012, but it was one of those projects I had to place on the back-burner due to time and budget constraints. In retrospect, I'm actually really glad we waited. When it comes to projects around the house, I'm finding it's best to wait until inspiration strikes, and then to wait even longer just to make sure it's something I'll be happy with for a good long time.

In the case of the dining room, our previous lighting came from an old white ceiling fan that wasn't obnoxious enough to warrant immediate removal, but wasn't us either. We knew it would eventually need to go, so we'd look through the lighting section at stores and online on a regular basis, hoping something would jump out at us.

For me, it was the big hanging pendant lights that caught my eye. I was drawn to their simple, industrial aesthetic, and I knew that replacing our ceiling fan with one of these would pull the space together. It took a few months to convince Matt (I sent him lots and lots of photos from Pinterest), but he eventually warmed up to the idea, so we went to Ikea and picked one out last week.

While we were there, we also brought home a floor lamp for our living room. This particular floor lamp (Ranarp) was one of our top three favorites (with this one and this one), and now that I see how it looks in the living room, I think we made the right choice. It's a simple change, but it really does cozy up the vibe while serving a functional purpose in that I no longer suffer eye strain while reading and knitting at night!

We still have several rooms in the house that need updated lighting, but I already have a pretty good idea where to start. And now that I've seen how big of an impact the light makes on the surrounding space, I'll probably make those updates sooner rather than later.

As for the candles, well... it's just that time of year, isn't it?

6 comments:

  1. I love your lighting choices! I eagerly await the day when I can swap out light fixtures in my own house. Our windows are facing all the wrong directions, so it gets really, really dark in the winter. You timed it just right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lighting....this past weekend I met a new friend...she has chickens...we talked, shared, and I told her of a blog I love to read...yours...guess what?...she reads it too..what are the chances with all the numbers of blogs out there?...did your ears ring? we were talking about you..and yes, this will be the year I too hope to enjoy my yarn, chickens (hubby will cave at some point) and your blog!!! Post on...and lots of pictures too please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks wonderful! Good choices! We have some seriously bad lighting in our new house, but same with time and budget, we'll have to wait a bit. The big old florescent fixture in the kitchen makes my head hurt.

    As always, lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the time of year to work on lighting--that's for sure. Love that pendant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pendant is beautiful! I find candles completely essential at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choices, lighting can make such a huge difference. We just switched the lamp over our dining table as well and it makes the room look completely different!! Love how cozy your home looks.
    The candles too look so nice and comfortable :)

    ReplyDelete