September Favorites

October 1, 2013

Well, happy first day of October to you. Once again, I find myself taken by surprise by how quickly the months are passing by, and wonder where all the time has gone. To remind myself, I've decided to share some of my favorite things from September. Things like posts, pictures, products, newly discovered blogs, books... anything I've encountered that had an impact. Things like:

This Here's How Hugh Howey (Bestselling Author of Wool) Writes interview over on Copyblogger. I haven't read through Hugh Howey's work yet, but I've heard very good things, and found his commentary on the writing process, and self-publishing in particular, educational and inspiring.



A new favorite mug for the collection, thrifted.

This SheaMoisture Organic Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie. If you have curly hair, this is a product worth looking into. I found it for $12 at my local target, which is a little pricier than I'm accustomed to spending for a tub of hair cream, but I've had it for a couple weeks now, and even though I use it every day, I've barely scratched the surface. A little goes a long way, and it smells really nice.

Call the Midwife. This is an incredible show. I'm so glad there's going to be a third season. I watched the first two seasons on Netflix streaming, and as of now, it's still available.

These books:  

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. I've already discussed why I like this book in a previous post, but I thought I'd mention it again.

Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard. I was in line at the feed store when I saw this book on the shelf near the cash registers. I picked it up, and started thumbing through the photos, and fell in love. I had to buy it. The images are beautiful, really, and so inspiring. There's a lot of practical information within about setting up your garden in a chicken-friendly way. I can't wait to start applying some of it to my own backyard next spring.

Divergent. Basically, if you were a fan of The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, you'll like this too. It's a fun, quick read.

roasted tomato soup

And, finally, this recipe for roasted tomato soup. Seriously, y'all. It's so good. Please try it if you find yourself with an abundance of fresh tomatoes.

10 comments:

  1. I like posts like this..a bit of everything!

    I will have to look into the chicken friendly garden book. I definitely need that advice as we have decided that the chickens do better just coming and going as they please in our back yard.

    Your roasted tomatoes look so yummy and the photo is so pretty and real, like I could reach right down and touch them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to Hugh Howey's interview. I just finished the final book in his hit Silo series and I can tell you that it is SO good. :) Could not put them down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Maggie: I just started reading Wool yesterday, and I'm completely hooked. It wasn't what I was expecting, but then again, I had no idea what to expect. :)

      Delete
  3. I just put a hold on Quiet and can't wait to read it. I agree with those above, those tomatoes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lindsay....
    this weekend I'm looking forward to being home...
    as odd as that may sound...
    "home" is somewhere I haven't spent time in for a long time...
    your soup - on my "to do list"
    the book - I'll pick up for my daughter (she still loves books with pages...loves the smell)
    the chicken book...ugh..still wanting the birds...one day..hoping

    the rain....please send me some...I'm trapped in a state of constant sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmh, that tomato soup sounds perfect for fall!
    Other than that, yes to Call the Midwife, I can't wait for the new season! The books are even better though, if you get the chance I definitely recommend reading them!
    By the way, I'm only halfway through Quiet still, but I really like the approach to pair personal experience with scientific research (a lot of the research she relates I remember vaguely from University).
    By the way, how did you like the Hunger Games? I thought it was a great, but tough read. I was sort of shell-shocked after book three and kept thinking about it for weeks on end.
    Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @tidytipsy: I was sick when I read The Hunger Games, so I blasted through the series in three days. It was completely absorbing, and I had a hard time snapping back into reality when it was over. The ending was rough, but also kind of perfect imo. I wouldn't be surprised if the Divergent series ends on a similar note because the two stories are so similar. I'm not as into these books as I was The Hunger Games, though, so we'll see...

      Also, Call the Midwife started as a book series?! I had no idea. I'll definitely add them to my book list.

      Delete
  6. Hi
    I've been making varieties of this soup again and again the last two weeks, it is so good. I've added sun-dried tomatoes and a bit of creme fraiche -just perfect. Thanks for a great recipe :D It really feels like autumn and soup season now, so this was just what I needed. Will try a few bell peppers in my soup next time.

    Ingrid :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ingrid: I'm so glad you like the recipe! The sun dried tomatoes + creme fraiche combo sounds delicious. Definitely going to try that.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous mug. Also I am ALL OVER that soup recipe.

    ReplyDelete