Homemade Sunflower Seed Butter

October 9, 2013

sunflower seed butter

As far as nut and seed butters go, sunflower seed butter is one of my favorites. The flavor is rich and versatile, which means you can play with the recipe by adding things like cocoa powder, cinnamon, scraped vanilla bean, dates, and more. And because I'm trying to stick to a paleo diet right now, I like to use melted coconut oil or ghee to make the butter even more rich and creamy. It's so good that I almost don't miss my beloved peanut butter. Almost.

sunflower seed butter

Sunflower Seed Butter
Makes around 1 pint.

2 cups raw sunflower seeds
2-3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
Salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 350F. Place the raw sunflower seeds on a rimmed cookie sheet in a single layer, and bake on the center rack for 15 minutes, or until the edges of the seeds turn golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.

sunflower seed buttersunflower seed butter

Place roasted sunflower seeds in the bowl of a food processor and process for one minute, or until the seeds have turned into a fine, sticky powder. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt. Continue to process for another two minutes, scraping down the sides every thirty seconds, until the mixture has turned into a creamy paste. Check flavor one last time for saltiness and sweetness, and add more salt or maple syrup as necessary.

Place your sunflower seed butter in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks.

sunflower seed butter

Optional Add-Ins:
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Scraped Vanilla Bean
Ghee instead of coconut oil
Dates

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Yum! There was a salmonella outbreak in peanut butter when I was in college, and the dining hall got sunflower seed butter as a substitute. I totally got hooked on it! I love it on a whole wheat English muffin with a drizzle of honey. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you have cashews? cashew butter is lovely. Also, I will defintitely be making this. There's a bit of me thinking a wee splodge (accurate measurement there) of it in a salad dressing/marinade would be nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @lisa-marie: Yes! I love cashew butter. Sometimes I do 1/2 and 1/2 cashew-almond butter, and that's pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks great and really interesting! I've never heard of nut and seed butters, I guess that must really be an american thing! I know peanut butter but you can't really buy it over here and I've never tried it. Your sunflower seed butter looks really easy to make. I don't suppose there's a way of making it without the food processor though is there? Haven't got one of those...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I think you'd need a food processor to get it ground down really well into a paste, but you might be able to use a mortar and pestle or something like that too. Would just take a lot of elbow grease.

      Delete
  5. I am drooling over this post! I will have to make it and let you know how it turns out!

    Love your blog by the way :)

    www.yosnaps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete