Garden Notes

October 17, 2013

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
1. Yellow acorns and a tiny yellow pumpkin.
2. Potato Harvest.
3. A double yolker.
4. Olive Snook

The original plan was to have a fall/winter garden this year, but time has slipped out from under me, so I'll be harvesting the last of our squash and potatoes before retiring the garden beds this week. The chickens are a big help in that department, avid diggers and scratchers that they are.

Several of you have asked me about little Olive since writing about her situation awhile back. She still limps, but just barely. From what I can see, the problem is in her joint, not her foot, and my guess is that she exacerbates the issue by jumping from the highest perch in the coop. We may need to remove it for the time being until she has a chance to heal completely. Otherwise, she's doing really well! She's still has yet to lay an egg, but I'm fond of her, so meh.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't even started putting the garden to bed! Yesterday afternoon, Jack the dog and I picked the last of the green beans and we all shared at dinner.
    Love the yellow acorn..I've never seen any before, how fun!

    Such a truly beautiful photo of sweet Olive Snook...so glad to hear that she is improving.

    Enjoy this great Fall weather. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the yellow acorns are new to me, too. I haven't eaten one yet, but I'm looking forward to it. :)

      Delete
  2. Those teeny pumpkins are so sweet! Glad Ms. Olive is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think among a bunch of chickens, it's important to have a couple that are valuable purely because you like them. Beautiful harvest and beautiful eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for letting us know how your chicken is doing, I read the updates out loud to my daughter. What are your plans for the acorn squash?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad Olive is doing better. She's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete