This and That

September 24, 2013

Untitled
The last tomato harvest.

Untitled
Cotton yarns for a new knit/crochet/sewing project.

For a size comparison, Seven's first egg is bigger than eggs from both Starbuck and Amelia Pond. #backyardchickens #firstegg #eggs #pullets
Seven of Nine's first egg! (middle)

Untitled
Cozy kitties.

Fall has come, and so has the rain, so yesterday I went out and picked every ripe tomato I could find. I'll still wait another week or two before I take down the plants (unless they show signs of blight), but I'm not expecting to harvest many more tomatoes, which is fine. We've had an abundant year.

On Friday the 20th, Matt went outside to collect the eggs from our two layers. He came in and reported that Starbuck's egg had a little blood on it, and that he found it laying in the nest box. Normally Starbuck lays her eggs on the floor of the coop, behind the food and water, so all of this registered as a little strange to me, but I figured hey, she's still new at this. Nothing to worry about.

And then an hour or two later, I went out to check on the girls, and I saw an egg on the floor of the coop in Starbuck's usual spot. So guess what! Three layers. Yay!

The mystery egg was never really a mystery to us. Miss Seven of Nine was acting like she might lay any day, so I'm surprised we didn't figure it out a little sooner. As you can see in the photo, her egg is slightly larger than both Amy and Starbuck's eggs, and it's a darker brown, too.

So here's what we've got so far:

First Eggs
Amelia Pond (Ameraucana/Easter Egger): 9/8/2013
Starbuck (Buff Orpington): 9/12/2013
Seven of Nine (Black Australorp): 9/20/2013
Olive Snook (Welsummer): n/a

Number of Eggs
Amelia Pond: 14
Starbuck: 9
Seven of Nine: 4
Olive Snook: n/a

Total Egg Count: 27 eggs to date

Number Eaten:15

Verdict: Delicious

So now we're just waiting on Miss Olive Snook. To be honest, I'm a little worried about her. Not because she hasn't laid any eggs, but because she's very small, she doesn't eat nearly as much as the others, and she's got a slight limp.

I noticed the limp a couple months ago. Matt and I examined her thoroughly for signs of injury or bumblefoot, but there wasn't an obvious problem. We decided to wait it out, and her condition eventually improved. Her limp was barely perceptible, and even then, I just figured I was imagining things. Then a few days ago, I noticed she was favoring her right leg again, and since then, it's only gotten worse.

She gets around alright, but I'm not really sure what I can do to help her. My guess is that she never fully healed from her first injury, and did something recently to flare it up again. Everything else seems like it can be explained by the fact that she's the lowest in the pecking order, but still, I worry that there's something else going on that I can't see. If she doesn't look better in another day or two, we might have to call the chicken vet.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your chicken but can I just say how great it is that you have a chicken vet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Miss Olive is ok. That's not a problem I've encountered before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tomatoes remind me that I need to get out and do the same...it has been a most lovely tomato year for sure.

    I don't know what to say about the chickens foot. My sister has had many different chicken upsets so I will ask her about this.

    Enjoy all of those eggs! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah! for extra eggs. Your last crop of tomatoes looks amazing, I am quite jealous!

    I missed the arrival of autumn in Scotland, as I was in NY. I have returned to cold, grey, and autumn colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful eggs and I can't wait to see what you do with the yarn!
    Hope Miss Olive gets over her limp without having to go to the vet!

    ReplyDelete