Red Rikke Hat

September 17, 2013

UntitledUntitled

The Rikke Hat is something I should've made back when I first started knitting. One, the pattern is free. Two, it's a quick and easy knit. And three, it makes an excellent slouchy hat - not too heavy, not too light, and perfect for fall. Plus, I love garter stitch!

The yarn for this is Wool of the Andes in cranberry from Knit Picks. I had two balls leftover from the red and white tube scarf I made last year, so I knew I'd eventually make a hat with it, but I wasn't sure which pattern to use until I remembered about the Rikke Hat. Although it's a very basic pattern, I'm drawn to simple, functional things, so I'll be making more of these in the future. Perhaps a black or charcoal colored Rikke next?

Anyway, I know I wrote about feeling anxious for fall in a previous post, but I couldn't be happier about it now. We've had an amazing summer with beautiful, sunny weather. We've even had a couple good storms, but now I'm ready to wear socks, and layers, and to feel cozy again.

7 comments:

  1. This adorable hat will be just the ticket for this Fall weather that we are starting to have...Since you say it is an easy pattern to do, I just might go and check it out.

    I am excited about Fall too..we have just put some things in a new raised bed, winter garden, can't wait to see how it does. Are you doing a winter garden? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sherri: I'd love to plant a winter garden, but I'm not sure yet which sorts of plants to grow. I'll need to do a little research. In any case, keep us updated on yours!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I can't knit a stitch (I just barely crochet) but I will give it another go with this cute hat! Great post!

    http://thriftarchives.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! Just picked my knitting up again (for the first time in months) yesterday, and ended up sitting up late to finish a hat for the Kid. I love this one that you've made though--so classic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, the color is so beautiful and it looks great on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the hat's perfect..thanks for sharing. I have oodles of yarn ...far more than I'd admit to so this pattern will be perfect for using up skeins

    you're very talented....leaves me a bit depressed to be honest but so does thinking about my age....

    I love your blog...stories and pics always great...

    this winter...send me some cold temps...I'm down here in Southern Calif and I never get enough!!!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that part of California stays pretty warm! Do you folks ever get snow?

      Delete