Hot Off the Needles

August 26, 2013

Untitled

I just finished these, my fifth pair of handknit socks, two nights ago, and just in time for the rain to start pouring. For these, I used the simple ankle socks pattern by Heidi Braacx (again), and modified it based on some really cool handmade socks I saw on Jane Richmond's Instagram feed. When it comes to knitwear, I really love Jane's aesthetic. Her designs appeal to my love of all-things basic, and her Autumn hat is still my #1 go-to. I've knit 8 Autumns so far, and counting...

Afterlight

Unlike Jane's socks, mine hit just above the ankle. I tend to prefer shorter socks most days, but based on what I've seen of her socks, I think I'd really like to make another pair that hits mid-calf. I'm hoping she publishes a pattern for them soon!

Anyway, since my last three knits have been socks, I'm thinking of switching things up for my next project. I've been itching to make myself a slouchy black or charcoal colored beanie, or maybe something bright cranberry red. Choices, choices.

4 comments:

  1. love the socks, I haven't made any yet myself...one day
    after I make the hats, dog sweaters, blankets, cardigans...
    basically, I need to quit my job in order to do all the knitting I dream of...

    on the Autumn hat, do you always use thick yarn? I have lots of DK to use up and I'd like to try that but I hate the whole thing of gauge...I know - it's necessary but ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I will hold three strands of worsted together (3 strands worsted = 1 strand super bulky), but I'm not sure how that'd work with DK yarn. Maybe 4 strands?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're so pretty, I really like the grey! It looks very elegant somehow :) You're such a fast knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I think I'm a pretty slow knitter, but I get things done because I force myself to only work on one thing at a time. Most of the time, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete