Homemade Sriracha Sauce

August 23, 2013

Sriracha

Sriracha sauce is one of my favorite condiments. I use it to kick up the heat in all sorts of foods, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sometimes even dessert. Seriously, I eat this stuff a lot.

That's why, after running across this recipe for homemade sriracha sauce a few weeks ago, I was immediately compelled to try it myself. Our pepper plants are growing crazy this year, so this is the perfect recipe to use them up. You can use your red jalapenos, fresnos, or even serranos, depending on your spice preference.

Homemade SrirachaSriracha

Just make sure you read through all of the instructions before you start, because although there's very little work involved in the preparation, you'll need to let the mixture ferment on your counter for about a week before it's ready. Still, it's worth the wait. Homemade sriracha tastes even better and brighter than the bottled stuff. Enjoy!

Homemade Sriracha Sauce adapted from Joshua Bousel's recipe at Serious Eats
Makes about 1 ½ cup.

1.5 lbs red jalapenos, fresnos, or serrano chili peppers, washed & stems removed
6 cloves garlic, peeled
4 tablespoons light brown or palm sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ cup distilled white vinegar

Homemade Sriracha

Place chiles, garlic, sugar, and salt in a food processor, and pulse until ingredients are finely chopped. Place in a clean jar, and cover with breathable material, such as a cloth or paper towel, and secure with a rubber band. Let jar ferment at room temperature for 5-7 days, stirring once per day.

Transfer mixture into a blender and add the distilled vinegar. Puree mixture until completely smooth (this takes about 3 minutes), and strain into a saucepan using a sieve. Push as much of the pulp through as possible using a spoon or rubber spatula. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until sauce thickens to desired consistency. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Once sauce has cooled, transfer to a clean, airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to six months.

Sriracha

Fun ways to use your homemade sriracha:
-In your bloody mary.
-Add a dollop to mayo for spicy mayo.
-Serve it over your air-popped popcorn.
-Use as a dipping sauce for meats and vegetables.
-In your deviled eggs to make them even more devil-icious.
-Use it to spice up a bowl of ramen or pho (or anything else, for that matter).

9 comments:

  1. this sounds really good...I've never heard of it before..the ingredients together but not the name so maybe I've been eating it and didn't know???

    and I can't leave this space without telling you how awesome your photography is...really wonderful...makes me depressed at how crappy my pictures continue to be but I'll plug along hoping one day they'll improve....really really REALLY great pics...and the idea over popcorn??? must try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you like the photos. :)

      Sometimes sriracha sauce is referred to as "rooster' sauce because bottles of Huy Fong sriracha have a picture of a rooster in the front. Maye you've heard it by that name?

      Delete
  2. My eyes are watering as I read this!

    I really like the stuff too but must admit that I forget to use it. I found an old container of it and it was a 'brown' color...hmm. I bought a brand new jar 2 weeks ago. It sounds so easy to make and our peppers have done well too this year. Perhaps I will give it a whirl.

    The photos are great.

    Hope you and Matt have a lovely weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brown, eh? I wonder how long it takes for the color to turn. Have a good weekend, too, Sherri. :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE those bottles! Where did you get them?

    I just started following your blog a little while ago because I too am trying to simplify and add more homemade things to my life. Your blog is great! And I love these pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ashley. Thanks for saying hi! I've been collecting little glass bottles and jars for the past few years, and I'm pretty sure I purchased these from a thrift store nearby.

      Delete
  4. Sriracha is one of my husband's favourite condiments too, I am ALL OVER making this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious!
    I'm a bit confused though... Why take the time to ferment the peppers if you're going to boil it? My understanding was that fermenting was primarily to increase the probiotic and nutrient content, but boiling it would destroy the good bacteria?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rad10: In this case, I think the fermenting process is only meant to develop flavor. Because the original recipe isn't aiming for a sriracha sauce loaded with probiotics, I decided not to stray into that area, though it might be fun to try someday. :)

      Delete