Garden to Pantry

July 31, 2013

Danver and dragon carrots.Untitled
UntitledFirst apples of the season.

Canning and freezing season has begun! This summer's first ripe apples have fallen, so I've been freezing applesauce, and prepping my canning jars, lids, and bands for pickles and jam. We've definitely had a warmer summer this year because I don't typically start this process until mid-August.

Right now, my kitchen is crowded with active, bubbling, lacto-fermenting science experiments. I've been slicing and grating all sorts of garden treats to go into my jars of sauerkraut, fermented dills, carrot-beet pickles with ginger, and other interesting concoctions. With all of this probiotic goodness happening all around me, I decided it was time to grow a scoby for kombucha, too, since I've been drinking it on a regular basis, and it's an expensive habit if you buy from the store.

Right now, I'm preparing a post for sauerkraut to share with you all. I got the idea after posting a photo on my Facebook page, which generated some interest in the procedure. Honestly, the process is so simple that it almost doesn't need a recipe, but I hope it'll be helpful for those of you who are like me, and are new to lacto-fermentation. What I've learned since making my first batch is that not only does sauerkraut have a long history as a pantry staple, but it's not uncommon for folks nowadays to have a crock fermenting on their counter as well. I had no idea!

So here's to joining the ranks.

7 comments:

  1. Those look like Transparent apples, they make such good applesauce, don't they?
    Things are early this year. Our blackberries are ready to be picked and I checked my blog from last year and I made a post on them at the end of August..wow!
    I am looking forward to you sharing your new projects, I had no idea about those things either.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sherri: Yeah, it's amazing how a little sunshine can speed things up. We've had poor luck with our tomatoes for the past two years, but I'm expecting good things this year.

      Delete
  2. I love the pictures, as always, but have to comment first and foremost on your new site design. It's so beautiful! Did you do it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Meryl: Yes, thank you! I'm still fixing issues here and there, and probably will be for the next few weeks, but I think I'm happy with it. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, lots of work but it's so gratifying to eat foods you produced yourself! I have to say though, even though I am from "the land of Sauerkraut" so to speak, I've never seen it made at home :) Looking forward to hearing more about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, interesting. Many bloggers would have us believe that it's a common thing in your part of the world. Then again, I don't own a deep fryer, and I guess that's supposedly ubiquitous here in the U.S.

      Delete
  4. You must be enjoying this bounty, and having a proper garden so much!

    I am looking forward to reading about your experiments.

    ReplyDelete