Garden Notes

July 10, 2013

Untitled
UntitledTomatoes
Untitled
Nasturtiums
Paris Market CarrotsDanver Carots
Untitled
KaleYukon Potatoes
Untitled

-We have or first green tomato! It is either a Boxcar Willie or an Abraham Lincoln. I'm not sure which.

-My MIL gave us most of our tomato plants, nine in total (3 Boxcar Willies, 3 Abe Lincolns, and 3 Pruden's Purples), which were all heirlooms grown from seeds from her garden last year. They're growing well in the ground alongside the two cherry tomatoes (Yellow Pear) we brought home. That's 11 tomato plants total. I've got half of them growing in our front, south-facing yard, and half in the backyard to see which location flourishes best.

-We're growing three types of carrots: Danvers, Dragons, and Paris Markets. We planted their seeds in trenches with our radishes. This method seems to have worked well for us, so I'll definitely try it again next spring.

-This is my first year growing nasturtiums, zinnias, kale, bush acorns, and melons. So far, so good.

-This is also my first year growing sunflowers, night phlox, and poppies. So far, so bad.

-In the late winter and early spring, container gardening on our front deck is great for cooler weather plants. By the time late May/Early June rolls around, however, the sun is way too intense, so we'll need to relocate those containers to the back deck for more shade. Poor peas.

-I was worried our backyard would be too shady for most sun-loving plants, but although it doesn't get much sun in the winter, it's definitely too intense for salad greens now. My arugula, spinach, lettuces and endives are all bitter and bolting like crazy in this 90° weather we've been consistently having.

-Our pepper plants are flowering already! This is the first time in the last three years that we've had such warm weather so early here.


So that's my garden so far. I'm still planning on planting a few more vegetables, and experimenting with some herbs and flowers in garden boxes and containers, but I'm pleased with how well things are growing so far in this new place of ours.

How's your garden this year?

8 comments:

  1. Very nice! I've got lots of green tomatoes growing in my garden right now plus my two tomatillo plants are flowering and making lots of their little lanterns (can't wait to make salsa again this year). Most of my lettuce and all of my kale got eaten alive by aphids (sad!) but I've got lots of herbs and cucumbers coming along nicely :)

    When are going to have eggs??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rach: They should start laying sometime in September. I can't wait!

      Delete
  2. I love hearing about your first garden in the new house! From the sound of it, everything is doing quite well...there are always experiments in every garden, sometimes good results and sometimes not so good.

    We are still having problems in the garden proper and feel it just may end up being the salt air/wind that we get coming in from the Straight of Juan De Fuca..more like barreling in, actually. We have started another garden-ish place by the coop and it seems to be much better, a bit more protected.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sherri: I've always wondered how salt in the air might affect a garden. Good to know in case we move closer to the ocean someday.

      Delete
  3. boo for me...no garden..our son and family are living with us for a bit longer along with his two large dogs so we are waiting to do so major yard changes when they move on....I am loving all your photos and stories.. thanks for sharing...keep posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @LapDogKnits: Will do! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it looks so pretty!! So lush and green and plentiful.
    My pea plant looks just like yours actually...time to rip it out. During our two weeks away it was scorching hot here but I came back to huge tomatoe plants and a few flowers that shot up. We have 5 tomatoe plants on our balcony and it feels like a lot :)
    Need to do an update post on our balcony soon I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @tidytipsy: definitely! I love seeing how people utilize their balcony space for gardening. :)

    ReplyDelete