And Suddenly it's July

July 4, 2013

Untitled
 Untitled
 Pickling Spice Mix

Happy 4th of July, friends! I had my 29th birthday on the 20th of June, and ever since then, time has been slipping right out from under me. I guess that's how summer usually goes, though, isn't it?

If you have a moment, there are a few posts written elsewhere that I'd like to direct your attention to. The first is for my pickling spice blend recipe here, which was recently requested by a reader. I use this spice blend for most of my non-cucumber-type pickles, such as pickled onions or carrots.

The second is for my guest post for whipup.net, which was hosted by the ever-inspiring Lola Nova. For those of you who are familiar with WhipUp, you'll already know about the tragedy surrounding the founder of the blog, Kathreen Ricketson, and her family. I heard about this devastating news shortly after I wrote my post, and my thoughts immediately went out to Kathreen's two children. Fortunately, some thoughtful folks have set up a way for us to help by donating to their trust fund. For more information, check out Lola Nova's latest post here.

UntitledUntitled
Untitled

I know I've promised you a tour of the chicken coop, so I'll try my best to get that post ready for you by next week, as well as a progress on our garden. It's coming along quite nicely! Until then, I hope you all have a nice 4th of July weekend.

4 comments:

  1. The picture of the pickling spice is lovely- going to have to check that out. And your raspberry picture is making me swoon. They are my favorite, but we won't have any this year as we bought our first house this last fall so the berries didn't get in until this spring. My dad has a huge row of 6 ft+ raspberry plants and he's coming to visit in a few weeks so I'm hoping he will bring me some to tide me over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raspberries always sneak up on me..all of a sudden there they are next to the last of the strawberries!

    Those pics of you and the chicks are so very precious..they are getting so big.

    I will be making my own pickling spice this year but need one for regular pickles. Is there a reason why you don't use this recipe for those?

    Hope you and Matt are having a happy 4th. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ryanandlaura247 - I totally understand the whole moving thing. We moved to our current house last summer, and I totally missed out on planting my own vegetable garden 'cause it was right smack dab in the middle of summer. We still haven't planted our berry bushes yet, but luckily we have a few local farms with good upick prices. :)

    @Sherri - Yeah, I tend to add lots of dill weed/seed, peppercorns, and garlic to my cucumbers and dilly beans, whereas I like a different flavor profile with my pickled carrots and onions and such. You could use the same brine for all your vegetables, probably, but that's just my preference.

    Hope you had an amazing 4th of July! We watched the fireworks from our upstairs bedroom. Not a bad view. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! (And are those 5 gallon buckets of raspberries? Awesome!)

    ReplyDelete