Weeks Nine and Ten

June 7, 2013

upload
upload
upload
upload
upload
upload

I know I snuck the picture of our chicken coop in last, but it's really starting to come together. Matt put up the walls and roof over the weekend, and with the help of my MIL and FIL, we were able to lift the hen house (formerly the dog house) onto its stand. That thing was heavy!

We still have a lot of work to do before we call this project done. As far as I can tell, we still have to attach the nest boxes, doors, windows, chicken ramp, trim, and then paint the hen house, but the run portion of the coop is fully functional. It's nice because now the chickens have somewhere to go during the day when Matt and I can't be outside with them. They still have to go back into the basement in the evenings until the hen house is finished, but hopefully we'll have it done within the next week or two.

One thing I should mention that really surprised me, and might be helpful to other beginners: our back yard isn't totally fenced in (yet), so the chickens could potentially escape if they really wanted to. This was something that worried me at first. I was convinced they'd try to hop the fence or run away, but they don't tend to move around all that much. Occasionally we have to herd them back toward us if they wander off too far while they forage, but for the most part, they seem content to stick around. They spend half their time preening and sleeping in the shade, anyway.

5 comments:

  1. The hen house will be quite a castle when it is all done, the girls will feel like queens!

    They may be staying close to you now but all of a sudden one gets brave and finds a hole in the bushes or wire fence and slips through...The excuse will be that the worms are much fatter on the other side of the fence.

    Hope you and Matt have a happy weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe how big they've gotten! That hen house looks amazing, you've done a great job!! They'll love it when they move in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a wonderful chicken coop....I wasn't sure what you'd build and this is great....bigger than I expected and quite a handy team you both make working together...
    have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVING your blog! My husband-to-be and bumped into a couple while camping in Big Sur, and as the subjects of blogs came about I was referred to your space here with the highest of praises! So envious of your little chicks :)

    xo
    Nicole
    www.hourglassandbloom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Nicole Welcome, and thank you for the kind words. I took a little peek over at your blog and your recipes have me seriously drooling.

      Delete