Week Six

May 9, 2013



This week's chicken update is short and sweet. We've been too busy to work on the chicken coop, and there hasn't been much physical change with the girls, so there's not much to report.

The weather has been uncommonly nice here, so I've taken the girls outside for an hour or two each day, and they seem to really enjoy it. I'm tempted to let them roam free in the backyard (under my supervision, of course), but they're still a little too small for that, so I generally confine them to a small area in the yard while I sit close by with a book.

Amelia Pond's comb is turning a nice, bright pink, and she's always been the most aggressive and curious of the flock, so I posted the above video on the forums at backyardchicken.com to get some opinions about her gender. It seems she is indeed a girl, so I'm almost certain we won't have any roosters to give away this year. What a relief!

Because of our schedules, we're hoping to finish the chicken coop by the beginning of June, so I'll keep you updated as we make progress. My weekly updates will probably become less frequent now, but I'll still post anytime something exciting happens. For instance, the girls are just now starting to display some pecking order-type behavior. So far, I think Starbuck is top dog because she's the largest, but with Amelia Pond's personality, I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up boss. Then again, you can't discount little Olive Snook. She's feisty. The only chicken that will remain out of contention is Seven-of-Nine. She's seems content to be assimilated.

Here are a couple more helpful chicken-related links I've run into that may be of use to you if you're just starting out with backyard chickens:
Best Treats for Backyard Chickens
Types of Chicken Poo (don't read this if you're eating something)

3 comments:

  1. For some reason this computer isn't letting me see the video..I will try my laptop in a minute but if that doesn't work, I'm going back to Little House tomorrow and I will see it then.

    Hasn't the time gone fast? It doesn't seem possible that it has been that long since you got them...weren't they a week or so old?

    Everyone seems to be busy with this weather, taking advantage of the sunshine to get things done outdoors. My garden will be going in this weekend and next week. Hopefully my window boxes on Mothers Day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're so cute and they look so big already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Amelia Pond looks all sassy!

    ReplyDelete