Week Five

May 2, 2013

The Girls
The Girls The Girls

The girls are getting huge! I try to be consistent, and take pictures of them every Monday to get an idea of how much they're changing week by week, but I don't think these images really capture their growth as well as I'd like them to. I guess you'll have to trust me when I tell you that they're starting to look like 'real' chickens now.


I recently discovered the Vine app for my iPhone, so I thought I'd share a video of them exploring their new surroundings. We finally moved them down to the basement over the weekend, and they seem to be doing really well now that they have more room to flap their wings. I think this video gives you a better idea about their size, too.

Vine is awesome, by the way. I can't stop playing with it.

Basement Brooder Basement Brooder

The basement brooder is approximately 42"x 42"x 3', with a stationary top made of hardware cloth. We get in and out through a door on the side that makes cleaning much easier because you can just reach in with a rake and sweep or shovel everything out. We had to add another heat lamp to keep things warm, and even with two heat lamps, the cool side gets down under 60°F. I forgot to include photos of their perches made by 2 x 4's, but they are attached right under the heat lamps, so the chicks stay nice and warm while they sleep.

Dog House => Hen House

As for the coop, we're almost finished with the hen house. I'll go into further detail about that next week (hopefully), but things are really coming together. As for now, we're supposed to have 80°F+ weather for the next few days (in May!), so I'm planning to build a temporary run for the chicks outside so they can dig in the dirt for worms and bugs.

So that's it for chicken-related news this week. I'd love to hear how the rest of you are doing with your chicks this year, so feel free to chat me up in the comments. Have a happy weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh they are are getting so big and I love, love, love the video, I even called my Mister in to watch it.
    The coop is coming along nicely, they will love their home when they get to move in.
    It would be great if you could get some video of them when they first get a taste of their freedom in their little run this weekend...hehe. I remember how silly they get running and flapping their wings and if some wind comes along they love to use it and act like they know how to fly. You will laugh hard with their antics outdoors. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the video Sherri! I'll definitely try to get footage of their first outdoor experiences, and I'll share next week. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do look like real chickens now and are still cute :) The peek of the henhouse looks great, they'll love it!

    ReplyDelete