Week Eight

May 21, 2013

Amelia Pond
Amelia Pond

Seven and Starbuck
Seven and Starbuck

Starbuck and Olive Snook
Starbuck and Olive

Just a quick chicken update: these girls are big enough now that they look like proper chickens. Unfortunately, Matt and I haven't been able to finish their coop yet, so they're still living in the basement for now. It's not a terrible situation, especially because we let them outside daily, but we need to get their coop up and running as soon as possible. We have all the materials needed to build it, so now we just need some extra time and cooperative weather

A couple weeks ago, when I first let the girls outside, I had a box (or rather several boxes taped together) I would use to keep them contained and safe from predators. Nowadays, I just grab Starbuck, place her somewhere in the yard, and the other three girls follow. Yesterday, all four chickens hung out under the same rosebush for nearly two hours while I weeded the vegetable garden. They don't seem to want to travel very far.

And the funniest part, for me, is when they've decided they've had enough. They walk straight back into the basement, without any intervention from me, and roost on their perches in the brooder with the door wide open.

Easiest pet ever.

But I totally get the whole chicken poop issue now. It's pretty disgusting.

5 comments:

  1. They are looking like big girls now. It is funny how they go back in when it is time. We have one that likes to stay up late and is always the last one in the coop..there is always just one more bug to get before bed. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those healthy happy gals! Our Buff is the leader too, 'course she's been with us the longest and knows the ropes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your chickens...

    and it's the "poop" thing that's keeping me from getting any chicks of my own right now...my husband is certain he's the one who'll be cleaninug up after them...and truthfully at this chapter in my life - he's probably right.

    one day I'll have them. but until then, I'll enjoy yours...

    always love reading your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh they are getting so big! They look like real chickens now and not little chickies anymore. That's so funny that they just go back in the basement when they've had their fill of the outdoors :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are SO cute! And they look like really happy and laidback chicks :))

    ReplyDelete