Ranch Dressing

May 10, 2013

Ranch Dressing

We're harvesting radishes, peas, spinach, lettuce, arugula, and endives from our garden these days, which means we're eating salad for dinner almost every night. For our salad, I like to make my own croutons and dressings. Most salad dressings don't take very long to make, and can be prepared only moments before serving. Ranch dressing, on the other hand, is best if prepared a few hours in advance so the flavors have time to develop.

Ranch Dressing

Still, despite the fact that it takes some thinking in advance, homemade ranch dressing is worth the effort. It's one of my favorites, so I thought I'd share my recipe with you so you can try it at home. Enjoy!

Ranch Dressing
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 to 1 cup mayonnaise, depending on desired consistency
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1-2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1-2 tablespoons chives, chopped
 Juice of half a lemon
A few drops of Worcestershire sauce, to taste
Freshly cracked pepper
Salt, to taste

Optional
Fresh Dill
Minced Carrot
Paprika 

Ranch Dressing

Mix all the ingredients together and pour into an airtight container. Refrigerate for 3-5 hours before serving to let the flavors meld. Serve over salad or as a dip for vegetables, chips, and breads.

5 comments:

  1. I have several dressings that I use, depending on my mood and ranch is one of them..I had no idea that it could be so easy to put together, thanks for the recipe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made ranch dressing - i tend to stick to basic oil and vinegar ones. Thanks for the recipe, I shall try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking at your blog for some time now, and love all the recipes, crafts, and photos! But right now I am super jealous of your salad and radishes!! Here in Michigan we have another couple weeks to wait before we can eat salad every week. Though we do have a little fresh lettuce coming in from the cold frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember looking at other bloggers' garden progress last year with loads of envy because Oregon always seems to be a month or two behind. That, or I'm usually too late with my planting dates. This year has been much different on both accounts. I don't think I've ever experienced this warm of a spring. It feels more like August than May... :)

      Delete
  4. This is perfect! I accidentally bought one of those giant cartons of buttermilk thinking I would be able to use the whole thing, but totally overestimated the recipe and now have a ridiculous amount of buttermilk in my fridge. We also have all those other ingredients, so you can bet what I'm going to make with my buttermilk now :)

    ReplyDelete