Lace Striped Sweater

May 28, 2013

Lace Striped Sweater

I started this project (Ravelry link) on March 16th, using the Lion Brand Fishermen's wool I had in my stash. It's not the most ideal wool for a project like this because it's so itchy against the skin, but because this was my first knitted garment, I didn't want to invest any extra money. I was essentially viewing this as a practice attempt for the real thing.

Lace Striped Sweater Lace Striped Sweater

Things started off okay. I finished most of the body portion quickly, but then the sun came out, and I started spending most of my time outside, so I put the project down for awhile. 'Awhile' turned into almost two whole months.

Well, recently this part of Oregon has reverted back to its typical cold and rainy self, so I was able to get back to my knitting. Luckily, the pattern is really simple, so it wasn't hard to find my place. It only took me a few evenings worth of work to make and attach the sleeves, and to finish the rest of the sweater. And, like usual, this project was a lot less intimidating than I thought it'd be.

Lace Striped Sweater
Lace Striped Sweater

After soaking the sweater, and laying it flat to try, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. It fits really well! I do have two major issues with it, though:

1. It's really, really itchy.
2. Off-white doesn't go well with my skin tone.

So, from now on I'll invest in better wool for my knitted garments. As for this sweater, I hear Rit dye works pretty well...

10 comments:

  1. I am so impressed! Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece! I'm interested to see how it looks after you dye it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely. But I am going to warn you off of RIT dye. It doesn't do a great job on protein fibers. If you don't want to invest in anything, I would recommend Kool-Aid or food coloring. http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/FEATfoodcolordye.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadine. I wasn't sure. I'll check out your recommendations right now.

      Delete
  4. Lindsay, that is so pretty and feminine...great job.

    That is very interesting about RIT dye and the Kool-Aid info that Nadine suggested, I will be interested to find out how it turns out. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's utterly gorgeous Lindsay! You should be proud.

    Will you mak the pattern again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lisa-Marie. Yeah, definitely. I think it'd be a great project for leftovers of worsted weight wools.

      Delete
  6. It's beautiful Lindsay! I love the color and it looks very 1950s to me. Can't wait to see what color you dye it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I've done Kool-Aid dye before, and I liked Wilton dyes better. (The gel kind that you use for dyeing frosting.) The Kool-Aide colors can be really bright. It works well, if that's what you want, but it can be a little much. I also liked over-dyeing a lot. (Or whatever the right term is for when you dye it with one color, let it set, and then dye it with another.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I say this every time I comment on a knitting post, but I really need to take up knitting again. This is seriously gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete