Spiced Applesauce Muffins

April 11, 2013

Spiced Applesauce Muffins

I was snagging something from down in the basement a few weeks ago when the pantry section caught my eye. On my shelves were quarts upon quarts of homemade applesauce from last summer’s canning session. Quarts I promised myself I’d put to use in all sorts of kitchen endeavors this year. Quarts I miserably failed.

Lucky for me, we’ve still got a few months before this summer’s apple season kicks in, so I still have plenty of time to put a dent in my pantry stores. So along with using applesauce over my breads and breakfast oatmeal, I’ve found an awesome applesauce-based muffin recipe that serves as a quick, on-the-go meal option.

Once the muffins have baked and cooled, I like to store them in the freezer in an airtight container. To eat, I just grab one from the freezer, cut it in half, and pop it in the toaster until it's heated through and slightly crispy. I even like to top my halves with more applesauce to make the flavor extra moist and apple-y. It's super delicious.

Spiced Applesauce Muffins

Spiced Applesauce Muffins
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
3 tablespoons milk
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the wells of a jumbo muffin tin with butter.

In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar, butter, eggs and milk. Beat until well combined. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt. Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients, and mix until combined. Fold in the nuts.

Spoon the batter into the muffin wells until 3/4 full. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of your muffins comes out clean. Remove from oven, and cool for ten to fifteen minutes. Remove muffins from tin, and place on a wire rack until room temperature. Store in an airtight container.

Recipe adapted from allrecipes.

4 comments:

  1. Yum, I can smell these right now. A nice way to use up the applesauce and I bet my grands would love them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound wonderful. I think out of every fruit, apples are my favorite to incorporate into baked goods. They just make everything so moist and warm and cozy-tasting, especially when there's cinnamon and nutmeg in the mix, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so good I can practically smell them! These are going on the breakfast list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks wonderful....

    and a great big HUGE thank you for writing and sharing about the chicks..

    this time next week I plan to bring home 3 buff oringtons...

    my very first ever chickens...

    I'm finding your postings to be very helpful - please please please continue!!!

    when I get my girls I'll send you pics...and their names...still working on that along with where in the world to put them!!

    ReplyDelete