Garden Progress

April 19, 2013

Peas Peas
Peas

While today is overcast with wind and rain, the weather is supposed to pick up tomorrow and continue on through for the next 5-10 days. I'm hoping this means my peas will start blossoming soon. I've been checking them every day for the past week for signs of tiny purple flowers, but so far, so green.

Radishes and Turnips Radishes
Sprouts

It's been a little over a month now since I planted my radishes, turnips, carrots, and salad greens, and they're growing well. Yesterday I decided to thin my radish and arugula seedlings to make more space for the rest to grow, so I gathered them up on a plate to wash and store in the refrigerator for salad and things. I guess I could've transplanted them into a different pot or something, but it seems to me like we've got plenty left in the ground to keep us busy. I've never grown any of these types of vegetables before, so I think it's probably best to play it safe rather than set myself up to waste food.

Sprouts

One thing I learned about radishes recently (and turnips) is that you can eat the greens, so I'm looking forward to radish green pesto, and radish green soup. For now, I'm just snacking on these sprouts as-is. They're delicious.

6 comments:

  1. It looks like you are getting off to a very nice start on the garden..I didn't know either that you could eat radish greens, maybe I thought not, because of the hair on the mature ones..I wonder if the chicks would like those too?

    Wishing you and Matt a very happy weekend..Have fun with the nice weather next week..Hooray!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those baby radish greens are delicious. We haven't started our garden yet..soon, I hope. It's rainy and miserable out today.
    Best of luck. Your seedlings look very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sherri - The chicks are obsessed with anything leafy green. I gave them a few sprouts and they were devoured in seconds. :)

    @Ellen - Thank you! This is earliest start we've ever had on our garden. It's really neat to have something growing in the garden that's ready to eat before May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I mention I'm so jealous of your garden?? Those peas will surely bloom like crazy soon and they'll be so pretty. I've never tried radish greens, did you eat them yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is coming along nicely! We have done absolutely nothing with ours. We have BIG plans for next weekend - weeding and trimming and getting the place in shape for some planting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love eating microgreens! I just thinned out some kale and arugula yesterday and made it into pesto for Earth Day.

    ReplyDelete