Starting the Garden

March 12, 2013

Pea progress

It's been almost a whole month now since I planted my peas, and they're making some nice progress on our south-facing front porch. We've got two bush varieties growing in containers, Tom Thumb and Gray Dwarf, both of which we purchased from the Seed Savers Exchange, along with a variety of other late winter/early spring vegetables that we're hoping to plant this week.

Making Garden Boxes
Filling and leveling the garden boxes.

On Saturday, it was sunny and over 60°F, so Matt and I decided to use the day to prep our backyard garden. We bought untreated ceder planks from Home Depot, which were less than $4 each, and cut them in half to make six square boxes. Then we dug up the sod, leaving as much of the existing soil as possible. We still need to fill the boxes with more soil and compost before we can plant, but we're hoping to be ready for that this weekend.

Hopefully these garden boxes will last us a few years, but I imagine by the time they're ready to retire, we'll have a different plan in mind for our entire garden. Also, because our back yard is shady, I'm worried our plants won't grow well enough back there to make it worth our effort. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

12 comments:

  1. How exciting..it looks like your soil is real good and not too many rocks (hopefully) like we sometimes have in this area.

    You might be surprised at how many different things can be grown without hours and hours of full sun, like tomatoes that seem to like good heat more than a lot of sun. Have fun! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so because we seem to have an abundance of shade around here I'm just glad there aren't any regulations here against front yard vegetable gardening or we wouldn't be able to grow our peppers and tomatoes.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I don't have a house to have a garden. Maybe I can just have a balcony garden? Hope to see updates on all the plants!
    Jillian - http://epic-thread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! There are loads of plants that grow well in containers. You should try it out!

      Delete
  3. This is looking fabulous. I'm running late and just got my peas in this week. Some of my raised beds are in a shady section of my yard too. I have had good success with salad and other leafy greens, onions, garlic, root vegetables like carrots and beets and some of the herbs that don't mind less sun. I've also had good results and saved lots of time putting in raised beds by putting newspaper down over the grass and adding layers of straw, compost and manure. The grass dies down under the newspaper mulch and composts. I'd be glad to share if you'd like info/photos of that process.
    Photos of my shady vegetable garden just before being covered last winter: http://resourcefulcookie.blogspot.com/2012/10/green-smoothie-and-hoop-tunnels-in.html. Here's wishing both of us lots of luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your garden bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Melinda I'm glad you've had success with cooler weather and shade-tolerant plants in your garden. Those you listed are similar to what we're planning to grow out back as well, and we'll be growing our sun-loving plants out front where there's more sunshine throughout the day. I'd love to see how you've done your raised beds. :)

      Delete
  4. It looks awesome so far--good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Wanted to work on our beds this weekend, but the coast called and it was lovely.

    We made similar beds when we moved in, they lasted about 3 years. Then we made some bigger, badder cedar beds (heavy duty planks and metal joiners) They are still doing the job 7 years on, though looking a little worse for wear.

    Your first garden at your new home is such a great feeling, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have a feeling these beds are going to need to be replaced in a year or two, but hopefully we'll have a better idea of what grows well out back, and how we want our layout by then.

      Delete
  6. Wow, your garden looks so great! Love the boxes, it will be so pretty when all the green stuff is growing in there. Good luck that your garden will get enough light for a bountiful harvest :-) still no planting over here but I'm determined to start my indoor seeds this weekend despite the snow outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes. It's hard to imagine snow anywhere right now in March - almost April, but this is also probably one of the earliest springs we've had here, weather-wise, in a really long time. What sorts of veggies are you starting?

      Delete