February 15, 2013

Sunlight

Untitled 

Well, I had a completely different post planned for you today, but the sun is shining bright, and I don't want to think of anything other than my growing indoor plants, my order of late winter/early spring seeds from the Seed Saver's Exchange, and playing outside in the dirt. It's funny how a little sunlight has completely changed my attitude and priorities. And since the days are starting to lengthen noticeably, I feel like I'm finally thawing from a long winter hibernation. It's not spring yet, but I can feel it coming.

houseplants  Baby spider plant.
christmas cactus houseplants

I've been slowly adding to our houseplant collection. The more plants I manage to keep alive, the braver I am about bringing in new ones. I get pretty attached to them, and I'm constantly trying to figure out how much water they need, and where they might be happiest in the house in terms of sunlight. There are a couple plants I should probably give away soon because they're not good for nibbling cats, but I need to find good homes first. Some of these plants have been passed down to us, and are many, many years old.

Untitled
Matt Instagramming Untitled

Outside, we have plans to turn an old dog house left from the previous owners into a small chicken coop. I doubt we'll be able to do chickens this year- there's just so much more that needs to be done before we're ready for that. In the meantime, we've got a vegetable garden to prepare for, a fence to put up, and a bathroom to remodel.

late winter/early spring seeds Peas

It may seem a little early, but I couldn't help myself. I went ahead and planted some small peas on our front porch last weekend. Whenever I push seeds down into the dirt, I find myself skeptical about whether they'll ever come back up again, but plants continue to amaze me by actually growing. I guess some things never get old.

Anyway, you may have noticed that every photo in this post is from my Instagram feed. For awhile, I quit using my DSLR almost completely because it was so much more convenient for me to whip out my phone. I love it for that reason - it's always there when I need it in a pinch. As a result, I've been able to capture so much more than I would have otherwise. Definitely a worthwhile purchase if you're like me, and you don't like to lug your big camera around with you everywhere you go.

Speaking of Instagram, I changed my username to awoodennest, and I think it's going to stick. Come find me there if you're on and say hello.

4 comments:

Sherri B. said...

It has been a beautiful day here in the PNW and a welcome change after those gloomy days.

Your houseplants look great and seem to be thriving so you must have the watering and light mixture all worked out. It's nice to get those special old, old plants that have been passed down but I can understand the worry of the nibbling cats. Someone will be thrilled to give them a new home, I'm sure.

How fun to start a new garden in your first house...one you will always remember with a smile.

Love the dog house, I can almost see the chickens peeking out now!

Wishing you and Matt a lovely weekend! xo

tidytipsy said...

First, can I just say that I'm soo jealous of the sunshine you're getting? I'm itching to get out and plant too (peas a well!) but it's all still snowy and frozen (and dull) over here.
Love your chicken coop! Hope you'll be able to get some this year or next.
Your photos are gorgeous, the first one especially! Glad to hear your plants are doing so well. We have lots of houseplants too. We keep the one the cats can nibble on the accessible places and others on higher shelves in the window, so they can't get to them. I'm loving my succulents and thankfully the cats aren't interested in those :)

Sini said...

Oh I would love to have chickens! And a garden. My plants are slowly dying, I had to place all really high since our cat will eat these. And seems that at least one is toxic for cats. Do you have same problem with cats and plants? How you manage to keep them out eating the leafs? :)

I would love to have flowers and green plants all over but it seems impossible. Our cat even liked the cilantro I bought ha ha.

Lindsay Jewell said...

Sini, we have to keep our toxic plants up high too, but I'm still worried. My cats like to climb up on everything, so there's really no such thing as "cat-proof" here. That's why I think I'll eventually give my toxic plants away to someone who doesn't own pets. I think that's the safest bet. Sad, but true.