February 7, 2013

Endpaper Mitts Finished

Endpaper Mitts

After overcoming a couple obstacles over the weekend, I was finally able to finish my Endpaper Mitts on Tuesday, and I think I'm in love. I love the design, the colors, and now I think I'm turning into a fan of stranded colorwork as well. Aside from a few beginner's hang-ups, this was a really fun project, and I'd definitely make it again. In fact, I probably will.

First, I should say I didn't follow the pattern's advice for the cast-on. I used a long-tail cast on instead because I didn't want to deal with too many new things at once. Next, upon reaching the thumb gusset on my first attempt, I realized that my gauge was way off, and that there was no way I was going to be able to fit the mitt I was making over my hand, so I had to rip it all out and start over on my 3.5mm circulars. From there, it was smooth sailing.

Endpaper Mitts - One Down

I still need to work on my tension when it comes to projects like these. My second mitt is noticeably looser, tidier, and more comfortable than my first because my tension improved as I went along. Still, it's not that big of a difference, and I'm really happy with them. Now I just need to weave in those ends...

8 comments:

Meryl said...

Wow...those are just amazing! I think my next project it going to be some mittens with a bit of color work in them. I'm a bit scared, but these are getting me really excited to try!

Liz said...

They're gorgeous! I'd be comfortable trying something like that with crocheting, but my knitting skills are waaay too basic to come near that. I love the colors you picked for them.

Sherri B. said...

Love the colors and the pattern. It still amazes me that you are self taught and always are so brave to try new things, and they turn out great every time!

Wishing you and Matt a wonderful weekend! xo

tidytipsy said...

They're gorgeous, great job! I love the colors and the pattern looks really complicated :)

Rural Revival said...

They're beautiful! Nicely done. : )

Stacy66 said...

Those are absolutely gorgeous. If you're interested in knitting hats with color work, I came across this great book a few years back and have made several hates for me and others out of it. Hat Heads by Trond Anfinnsen, aka Knitkid. You can find patterns on Ravelry. Here's a link to one hat I knit for my sister; she's modeling it. Great book you can find it at the library. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Stacy66/torunn

Sini said...

Love the patter and color, I'm not that good yet that I could do special patterns - or I haven't actually looked how it's done. Need to try after I finish all my wool socks!

Helena said...

So pretty! :) I love love love them!