February 7, 2013
Endpaper Mitts Finished
After overcoming a couple obstacles over the weekend, I was finally able to finish my Endpaper Mitts on Tuesday, and I think I'm in love. I love the design, the colors, and now I think I'm turning into a fan of stranded colorwork as well. Aside from a few beginner's hang-ups, this was a really fun project, and I'd definitely make it again. In fact, I probably will.
First, I should say I didn't follow the pattern's advice for the cast-on. I used a long-tail cast on instead because I didn't want to deal with too many new things at once. Next, upon reaching the thumb gusset on my first attempt, I realized that my gauge was way off, and that there was no way I was going to be able to fit the mitt I was making over my hand, so I had to rip it all out and start over on my 3.5mm circulars. From there, it was smooth sailing.
I still need to work on my tension when it comes to projects like these. My second mitt is noticeably looser, tidier, and more comfortable than my first because my tension improved as I went along. Still, it's not that big of a difference, and I'm really happy with them. Now I just need to weave in those ends...