January 28, 2013

Weekend Knitting

endpaper mitts in-progress #knitting #dsknits

After recovering from a week-long case of Second Sock Syndrome, I was able to finish my second pair of Monkeys over the weekend (and haven't taken them off since). My original plan to was to go on a sock knitting spree, but after I finished my last pair, I decided it was time to work on a project I've been avoiding for months.

So, last night I cast on for my Endpaper Mitts, a.k.a. my first stranded colorwork project. I was nervous because working with two strands of yarn at once has always seemed a little overwhelming, but I remembered some advice I read on the Ravelry forums about holding one strand continental, and the other english-style. I tried that method, and it worked out well for me.

Inside. #knitting

To tell you the truth, I'm having a lot more fun with this project than I thought I would. There's something really cool about seeing it come together before your eyes, and having control over so many different things happening at once. I'm still struggling with my tension, and the transitions between the needles, but it's no big deal.

6 comments:

Ness said...

They look great! I think stranded knitting on dpns is just hard, period. I always allow myself a little more slack than usual when I switch needles.

I can't wait to see these finished! They are in my queue, but I'm stuck on what colors to use. :P

Sherri B. said...

Love those earthy colors and I am always amazed at how you have just taught yourself all of these things...Perfect knitting weather, for sure! xo

Lisa R. said...

I've been following your blog for a few months now and just wanted to say thank you. I love your posts; the food looks delicious and I WILL try to do some of it one day lol; the photographs are wonderful; your home looks so cozy; and I love the knitting.

I've been knitting off and on for a while, but just this past Fall I finally decided to really get into it (thanks to being inspired by your blog and the insistence of my husband to "just pick a pattern and do it"). Thank you for introducing me to Ravelry (oh my gosh it's great). For the first time, I've made a hat, used multiple colors, made mittens, used circular needles and dpns, created my own designs on graph paper, attempted blocking, and now I'm trying a blanket (WOW it's taking forever-- even being a baby blanket). Thank you for the inspiration!

So. Thank you thank you, please keep posting, I love it. Also, I think I might try that onion dip for this Sunday :)

Thank you!!

-Lisa Roth from Raleigh NC

Lindsay Jewell said...

Lisa - thank you for the comment! One thing I really love about the blogosphere is that it can be so inspirational, and can help us hash out and discover the things we're interested in. I don't think I would've started knitting had it not been for the experiences other people were willing to share on their blogs, and I'm really happy you've been inspired, too. Also - yeah. Ravelry is amazing! I try to introduce it to anyone I know who shows even the mildest hint of interest in knitting and crochet.

Anyway, thanks again for the comment. It's very encouraging. Also, I'll be making a big batch of onion dip for Sunday myself. :)

Lindsay Jewell said...

Ness - I think I was doing the opposite of what I should have with my needle transitions. I kept thinking I needed to tighten more rather than giving more slack, but your comment really helped me figure that issue out. Thanks!

Sherri - It's so nice to hear from you again! Glad you're feeling better. :)

tidytipsy said...

That looks soo gorgeous!! Lovely colors, can't wait to see them finished :))