Monkey Socks

January 16, 2013

Monkeys

Up until we moved in July, I was never much of a sock wearer. Even in the dead of winter, I'd tromp around with bare feet most of the time. Or, if it was really cold, I might put on a pair of slippers. All of that has changed now that I live with wood floors. Sad to say, my measly few pairs of holey socks aren't cutting it anymore.

So last week, I knit up my first pair of socks. Those of you who stop by regularly may remember a pair of Canucks that I finished back in September. It's true that they are sock-ish, but I think of them more as slippers, not socks, because they're made with bulkier yarn. My real intention in making them was to understand how a basic sock is constructed, anyway, so that when the time came to make real socks with fingering weight yarn and tiny double-pointed needles, I wouldn't overwhelmed myself with too much new information. That's why I'm calling these here Monkey socks my first official pair, and I love them.

Monkeys

And did you know that socks (gasp) keep you really warm when it's cold outside? You probably did, but my sock-free feet were completely unaware of how much heat they were losing due to exposure. Seriously, socks have changed my life. Wool socks even more so. And socks that fit really, really well? They're totally worth the hype. I've heard time and time again that hand knit socks are super comfortable, and I was really hoping it was true because I hate bunchy, twisty socks that fall off my ankles, or need adjustments every twenty minutes. I just want to put them on and forget about them, and with these socks, that's something you can absolutely do.

Monkeys

As soon as I finished my first pair of Monkeys, I casted on for a second pair. The yarn, a gift from my SIL two birthdays ago, is actually what inspired me to use this pattern in the first place. It's variegated, so I wanted to find a pattern that would prevent obvious pooling. Plus, it's one of my favorite sock patterns on Ravelry, and has been for quite some time.

As of now, I've got the first sock completed, and most of the cuff finished on the second, so I should have my second pair of socks knitted by the end of the week! After these are done, I'll probably start in on a pair or two (or three) of plain stockinette socks. And then, hopefully, I'll be good to go for the rest of the winter.

8 comments:

  1. Those are lovely!
    I'm tempted to cast on for a pair myself. I have been so lazy about knitting recently... but this is great inspiration. Socks are so rewarding. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are great. I tried knitting socks a few years ago, but became frustrated with the heel flap. Maybe something to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay, these socks are gorgeous. (You are seriously making me jealous with your hand knits!) I haven't had much time to knit (or do anything else fun) lately, so I'm knitting vicariously through you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup--wool socks are a must with hardwood. I didn't even really understand that they existed until we moved into our current house. If you get tired of knitting them (I admire your patience, btw, I've never been able to get past a cuff), smartwool is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the patter you made for the socks!

    I'm just knitting wool socks too, more thick ones. I wear lamb wool slippers without socks at home, it keeps more warm me feets. Wool socks are best at winter, should just have thin ones like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh love your socks! They look so comfy! My friend Zerrin made me a pair of crochet house slippers for christmas and I am wearing them constantly. So warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for hand-knit socks! Congratulations on your first official pair! I've been wanting to knit some Monkeys, I just haven't found the right yarn yet. Both of your pairs look super cute! I bet they really are cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, these are your first socks? I think my first attempt years ago wasn't even wearable :) They're beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete