Christmas Knits

January 9, 2013

This weekend, Matt and I went out to my dad and step-mom's house for our belated Christmas gathering. Happily, there was just the right amount of sun and fog for our drive over, and the roads were dry, so we cranked up First Aid Kit and enjoyed the backroad scenery. And because I was finally able to give them the knitted gifts I've been sitting on since Late November/Early December, I can now share them here with you.

Dad's Fingerless Mitts
Dad's Fingerless Mitts Dad's Fingerless Mitts #2

For my dad, I made two pairs of fingerless mitts. I wanted to make him something he didn't have to worry about dirtying or damaging, so I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease yarn, and based them off this free pattern. I really like how they turned out, and I plan to make some for both Matt and I to use at home.

Tricia's Mara

For my step-mom, I wanted to make her a shawl. She was actually the recipient of my very first shawl - one that I made back when I was first learning to crochet, and hadn't taught myself to knit yet. She wears it often, so I thought it was time to make her something a little nicer.

At first, I had my mind set on a textured shawl. It's one of the most popular shawls on Ravelry, and I drool every time I see it, so I thought it'd be really nice for her. Unfortunately, the yarn didn't show off the stitches very well, so I had to scrap that idea and figure something else out.

After awhile, I realized that a Mara shawl would be perfect for her. First, it's one of my favorite shawl patterns of all time. I made one for myself back in June, and I love it. It's simple and cozy, and I thought it'd be a great fit for the yarn (Knit Picks City Tweed), which is super soft and smooshy with rustic tweedy flecks. Anyway, I'm really happy with how it turned out. So happy that I decided to make another Mara for myself.

Willow Catkin Hood

Lastly, I made a crocheted Willow Catkin Hood for a friend who saw me running around in mine. She immediately noticed it, and it looked super cute on her when I had her try it, so I decided I'd make her one for herself. And although I hadn't originally planned to have it made by Christmas, I was craving some time with my crochet hook, so it just worked out that way.

That's one thing I've realized this year about creating things. It works best if I make something I'm in the mood for rather than forcing myself. Another thing I've realized (again) is that I can't commit myself to knitting a huge list of gifts by December 25 no matter how enthusiastic I am about it, or how little sleep I think I may need. So, from now on, knitted gifts are going to come as they may, regardless of the date.

There are actually two more knits from December that I haven't shared, but they'll get their own post. Until then!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Lindsay. Your knitting and crochet is always so neat and even, beautifully finished. I love that plummy colour with the fleck running through - gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely knitting, as always! I like the Mara shawl especially, gorgeous yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the shawl yarn is amazing! And you showed it off in the best possible way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful knitting, as always, but I also wanted to say that I love how you photograph your work. I always have a little trouble shooting knitted goods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous makes and what lucky recipients! Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely knitted gifts. I think I agree with you when it comes to knitted gifts - they'll just have to be given when they're done, and not by a specific deadline. The last thing one would want is that one's hobby becomes a pain in the neck! Looking forward to more cozy knits!

    ReplyDelete