The Table

December 28, 2012

Dining Table

I can't believe it's Friday already. I feel like this whole week has gone by in a happy holiday blur, and I'm just starting to resurface. It was really nice spending the holidays with friends and family, and I feel like I've said this before, but Christmas keeps getting better and better every year.

I know I mentioned our dining table in my last post, but I wanted to share a couple shots with you now that it's sitting in our dining room. From what Matt told me, the whole project (not including labor, of course) set us back about $350 dollars. The bulk of the cost went toward the legs which were special ordered. You could build a table for a lot less money if you went with straight legs, or legs that are less than 5" in diameter, but these were exactly what we wanted. Most of the rest of the cost was covered through gift cards at Home Depot. Compared to the $1500 price tag from the table that inspired the project, we didn't do too bad.

Dining Table

The top of the table was built with old barn boards that have amazing character and give it a real rustic vibe. My husband could probably explain the whole process and all of the materials they used much better than I could, so feel free to address him in the comments section if you have any questions. You can also see more photos here if you're interested.

I really am very happy with how this whole project turned out. When Matt told me he wanted to build our table, I was initially worried because I knew it would be a huge project, but he and my FIL chopped away at it all month, and every time he showed me pictures of their progress I got more and more excited. They even managed to finish and set it up in our dining room right in time for Christmas dinner. Whew!

12 comments:

  1. Made Christmas Dinner extra tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even better than the pottery barn inspiration. How special to have a one of a kind piece made by family! It's absolutely gorgeous. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did a tremendous job on the table! It will mean so much more through the years to you and your family. A true family herloom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something vintage and classic among furniture made from wood. This is the thing that i like to achieve in my wooden shed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's absolutely beautiful and what a marvelous treasure for future generations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! It's much more special being homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing!! I love the look of the barn boards and the cool legs! Your husband can be really really proud of himself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous table! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my God. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. Did he find the table legs somewhere else or was he able to purchase them unstained from a hardware store and stain them himself?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Eva. We bought the legs from Osborne Wood(http://www.osbornewood.com/. They came unstained, so we were able to stain them with the rest of the table ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're latter posts with pics of stuff on this table are AWESOME! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete