November 30, 2012

Candy Cane Cooler

Candy Cane Cooler

I stumbled across this recipe for Candy Cane Coolers awhile ago, 'pinned' it, and decided to give it a try once candy canes were back in season for the holidays. Well, last week I finally got around to making the recipe, and it was nothing like I thought it'd be. It wasn't sweet, and it didn't pack the strong peppermint punch I was hoping for.

But I figured why waste all this delicious vodka? So instead of giving up, I decided to experiment around to make the drink I really wanted. Once I was done, I was really surprised! It's delicious. Sweet, but not cloyingly sweet, peppermint-y and cool, and very boozy. A little goes a long way. I think I'll go ahead and whip up another bottle for all upcoming holiday parties this year.

Candy Cane Cooler

Candy Cane Cooler
5-6 large peppermint candy canes, crushed
12 ounces vodka (mint-infused would work great if you've got it)
4 ounces brandy
6-12 ounces half-and-half
Simple syrup or flavored syrup, to taste
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract (optional)
Mint sprigs and small candy canes for garnishing

Crush the candy canes into pieces and pour into a quart-sized bottle or jar. Top with the mint-infused vodka, brandy, and half-and-half. Shake well, and set aside for 30 minutes until the candy canes begin to dissolve, and the liquid turns pink.

Shake again, and add the simple syrup (peppermint or vanilla flavored syrup works too), 1 tablespoon at a time, until the flavor suits your tastes. Optional: add 1/4 tsp. of peppermint extract. Store in the refrigerator.

Shake before serving. Pour in a cocktail glass over a cube or two of ice, and garnish with a sprig of mint and a small candy cane over the rim of the glass. Tip: If the beverage is too strong for you, cut it with a little more half-and half or milk.

8 comments:

Whitney said...

YUM! This sounds amazing.

Lindsay Jewell said...

I'll make it for our ornament-making craft night!

Lisa-Marie said...

Ohhh. The husband loves mint flavoured anything. I'll have to get some of this on the go!

Rachel Beyer said...

I want to try this! I love that it's PINK :)

Lindsay Jewell said...

I'll admit, its 'pinkness' is what attracted me to it in the first place. :)

Lola Nova said...

Love the color and what a fab idea!

Ness said...

I bet it would be delicious in hot cocoa! I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing this!

Andrean Julien said...

Ahh what a candy. Can't wait any more. looks fantastic and must be having very good flavour. Bottle Cooler is really good as the cooling seems to be for it is very nice.